Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2 or 4 inch lift and changing grills.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default 2 or 4 inch lift and changing grills.

    Hi I was wondering which would be better, a 2 or 4 inch lift, for my 1980 scout II. It's gonna be my daily driver but I do want it to be very capable off road. And also, could I change my grill from a 1980 to another year?
    Thanks guys any input is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    eastern washington state
    Posts
    427

    Default

    it all depends on where you go? in the woods 2 inch is fine. if you need the ground clearance then go 4 inch. as for grills i thought 72-80 they would all interchange but i really don't know. ask Allen he should know.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Personally I'd go with the 4 inch lift, thats what I'm running for my DD.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

    "Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

    David H. Petraeus for President 2012

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Little Rock
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I recently redid my grill, paint and hardware. I think for most of the grills you can either change the trim or pull out the whole front and swap with another year if the bolt holes line up.
    Last edited by 73ScoutDude; 09-14-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammer

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Depends on the kind of offroad you are planning on doing. I would go with the 4" lift springs, maybe even a 1" body lift, but even then you will only get maybe a 32" tire to tuck in nice.

    As for grill, you might run into a problem as you have the one year that Scouts went to rectangle headlights, all others are round. You will have to completely change all headlight buckets and even then might have to do some fab work. I am not sure if they tryied to stuff a rectangle into a round hole.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john breeze View Post
    it all depends on where you go? in the woods 2 inch is fine. if you need the ground clearance then go 4 inch. as for grills i thought 72-80 they would all interchange but i really don't know. ask Allen he should know.
    Ground clearance does not change by adding a 4" lift. Your differential will always be the same distance to the ground unless you go larger tires. Spring lifts don't give ground to axles.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 78ssii View Post
    Depends on the kind of offroad you are planning on doing. I would go with the 4" lift springs, maybe even a 1" body lift, but even then you will only get maybe a 32" tire to tuck in nice.

    As for grill, you might run into a problem as you have the one year that Scouts went to rectangle headlights, all others are round. You will have to completely change all headlight buckets and even then might have to do some fab work. I am not sure if they tryied to stuff a rectangle into a round hole.
    The '80 grille is completely different than the rest of the years. Only thing interchangeable between them and the other years is the outside shape. You'd have to go with a grille from a different year if you wanted round headlights, but if you really wanted to change it you can do it. They should just bolt right in.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    So what parts will i need to change the front of my 1980 scout to something like a '76 or something?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse21 View Post
    So what parts will i need to change the front of my 1980 scout to something like a '76 or something?
    The '80 grille comes out by removing the screws that hold it to the fenders on each side, the hood on top, and the bottom steel part of the front end. I would assume that in order to change it out, just remove the '80 grille and the '76 would re-install in a similar manner.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •