Thread: Transmission Leaking

Default Transmission Leaking

There is a hole on the top passenger side of my transmission about two inches from the t-case and two inches from the top of the tranny thats leaking, "727 auto". Its about a quarter inch in diameter. I cleaned off all the gunk covering it and discoverd most of the fluid leaking from this point. If I drive it for a while and park it, the fluid pours out after about 2 days. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem? All help appriciated.
    Last edited by 73ScoutDude; 09-16-2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Technical info req'd

automatic or manual tranny?

Quote Originally Posted by 73ScoutDude View Post
    There is a hole on the top passenger side of my transmission about two inches from the t-case and two inches from the top of the tranny thats leaking. Its about a quarter inch in diameter. I cleaned off all the gunk covering it and discoverd most of the fluid leaking from this point. If I drive it for a while and park it, the fluid pours out after about 2 days. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem? All help appriciated.
    That is a breather hole on the 727 automatic. What I prefer to do when overhauling an automatic is to thread that hole and put a fitting on it so I can run a breather tube up high for water crossing.

The reason it is "supposed" to leak is if the transmission is overfilled. I don't have the manual here, but there is probably a reference to this problem in the factory manual.

There is also one on the front of the transmission. I also thread that hole and put in a breather. This requires drilling of the bell housing so the torque converter does not hit the tube, and obviously can not be done with the transmission in place, either. These ideas are only for when you are overhauling the transmission, since metal shavings in the fluid are a really bad idea.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

i didn't think about that. Allen you so smart the breater is supposed to be threaded in there did it bust off or somebody forgot to put it back check for threads. then go from there

Quote Originally Posted by john breeze View Post
    i didn't think about that. Allen you so smart the breater is supposed to be threaded in there did it bust off or somebody forgot to put it back check for threads. then go from there
    I don't think either of the overflow holes are threaded from the factory. They're just holes.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for the help with this one. That breather tube is a really good idea, i'll have to keep that in mind when I do take the tranny out.

Good call on the breather

couldn't you use a hose barb in there that way you could route the hose wherever you wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by john breeze View Post
    No threads from the factory, just a hole