Thread: heater questions

Default heater questions

I have a 1967 Travelall that is missing some of the parts for the heating system. I cannot find a diagram of how its laid out. Anyone have one?

I have the heater box, part of one heater hose that is cut off right after the heater flow control valve, and the dash controls. I was wondering if some of you could help me out with a few questions:

1. Is the blower motor inside of the heater box that is under the dash?

2. Is it possible to hook up the heater core backwards, i.e., is one of the heater hoses specifically for input and one for output?

3. If I need to replace the heater core are they still available? Will radiator stop leak fix small leaks?

Thanks.

#1, on my scouts (64, 66, 69 & 74) the blower motor is in the engine compartment next to the heater core, not under the dash. This could be different for a travelall, but I doubt it. Look for wires coming out of the heater box, that should let you know where it is. Typically it is near the heater core assembly.

#2, you can connect either way, it acts as a radiator, flow direction isn't restricted. Ensure you flush it out well, or any crud that may be holding in one direction can come loose in the other!

#3, Yes, you can get replacements. Most radiator shops can fix the small holes, but many recommend buying new. Napa carries them, you may have to order from elsewhere in the country, but they have them.

The usual cause of leaks is the hose connection that goes through the firewall. The three bolts in the front of the heater core (engine compartment side) loosen, and then any screws that hold things in place in the cab, and the whole assembly comes out.

Once it's out, you will see what needs to be done.

The blower is inside the assembly.

The biggest problem you run into is the flapper valves and gaskets have rotted and become brittle by now. No replacements that I know of, so you'll have to be creative when you address this issue.

Polarity does not matter. The valves are available from NAPA. Just get one that is cable operated and fits the same size hose. Some of them work backward. I haven't found that to be a big deal, since better homes and heaters hasn't bothered to inspect me.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks to both of you.