Thread: Broken Hood Release Cable... HELP PLEASE!

Default Broken Hood Release Cable... HELP PLEASE!

I had the cable BREAK trying to release the hood on my Scout II... HOW do I release the hood so I can fix it? I have no idea how to get in underneath there to flip the release for the hood? CAN ANYONE HELP

Ouch... I honestly don't know of any tricks to getting it open from the inside. If you get really desperate you can take apart the dash and get a hole saw and drill out the firewall enough to get some pliers through to grab the release mechanism.

First, without getting too drastic though, what part of the cable broke?

Default Scout hood release cable

This seems to be a common problem with the Scout hood latch. The solutions have been discussed. No holes need to be drilled. Try doing a 'search' for the issue. Look in the 'blue header bar', 3rd from the right.
    Something about a 2nd elbow on your arm and a long stick?
    Bill

This has been answered many times in the old forums. You'll need some stiff wire to release the hood from the wheel well. Do a search over at binder planet for the exact answer.

HTH

Bill

use a piece of 1/4" angle iron with a hole drilled in one end. Then put a 3" long bolt in the hole. Crawl under the passenger side and have a friend shine a flashlight through the passenger wheel well. Use that hook to pull down on the hood release lever. If you're lucky, and it's corrosion of the hood release cable, all you have to do is hook the cable between the lever and the firewall.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers