Thread: 71 scout wiring and spark problem

Default 71 scout wiring and spark problem

I am working on a 71 scout for a guy to make some extra cash. The problem is he is getting no spark. It used to start a few years ago when he got it and it set for a few years. Now its got nothing. there is a new battery and coil. It does appear to be a few wires not connected and I thought about changing the points in the dist... I guess my biggest question is where can I find a wiring diag. I need to know where the wires on the coil go incase he has gotten them crossed or worse. Also there is a little plastic connecter on the firewall that has a few wires from the starter and coil and various other places going into it. Some of them seem to have come off and I need to know where they should be placed. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I have ever worked on a scout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmealman View Post
    I am working on a 71 scout for a guy to make some extra cash. The problem is he is getting no spark. It used to start a few years ago when he got it and it set for a few years. Now its got nothing. there is a new battery and coil. It does appear to be a few wires not connected and I thought about changing the points in the dist... I guess my biggest question is where can I find a wiring diag. I need to know where the wires on the coil go incase he has gotten them crossed or worse. Also there is a little plastic connecter on the firewall that has a few wires from the starter and coil and various other places going into it. Some of them seem to have come off and I need to know where they should be placed. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I have ever worked on a scout.
    The 71 scouts used a standard USA style wiring scheme.

To the (+) coil you have a ballast resistance wire coming from the RUN switch on the key.
    You also have a hot feed from the R terminal on the starter solenoid.
    The (-) coil is fed from the points.

Usually no spark with power present means the condensor has failed. If the points are opening and closing properly, that's the best thing to replace. The point gap is about .016 new, .019 used, and the actual setting with a DWELL meter is 30 degrees.

Plugs gap at .030 to .035. Us Autolite 85. Do not use champion plugs.

NOTE: Timing is done from the number 8 cylinder on an IH SV series engine, the type scouts came with. If it says INTERNATIONAL on the valve cover, it times off of number 8.

Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Ball park timing is 4 degrees BTDC.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I had the same problem with my traveler. Mine would act like it would start but would only run when i held key in the starting position. I then took off the ballast resistor and noticed it was shot. I found one with a help of a guy who restores scouts and its the same as the one in a '67 Dart. After installing it the old girl fired right up. Another way of testing it would be hot wire the positive end of the coil from the Battery.