Thread: Pontiac 455 HO V8

Default Pontiac 455 HO V8

Hey guys, I just bought a 72' GTO 455HO. Ithad a blown motor and is being epaired right now. However it came with an additional 455 ho. Or at least most of the parts. I have the block, heads, intake, crank, cam and some of the pistons. I was thinking about having the block remachined just to clean and check the cylinder walls and all. But I am wondering if it would be a cool motor to build up and stick it in my 77 Scout II. The one in the car has a turbo 400 tranny so I am wondering if a 700rf and np208 transfer case might be a good match. What do you guys think? I figure it would be a real torque monster and a unique build.

I knew of a guy who dropped a Chrysler 440 out of a New Yorker into one of his Scouts. Said it mated right up to the automatic transmission and he didn't have any problems driving it aside from the extreme power coming from it. So I don't see why any other big block wouldn't work as long as you get the right set up for it. Just hope that you're handy with a welder and can fabricate all the new mounts and stuff.

Having said that, yes, it would be a very unique build. I'd want to see it for sure!

The 700r4 is longer, so you will need custom drive shafts. You can cut the rear down, but you will need a new front.

The 455 with an auto would be an excellent wheeler IF you don't build it too hot. A stock build would be better than a hot cam. If you work the heads to make it breathe better, that's great, but you really don't want to kill the low end grunt by opening up the top end. You want that low end power for idling over things rather than romping on them.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Ugh, I have to many blown up parts on this thing to be cost effective, just gonna sell it and keep the 345

Just curious, what are the raised cast numbers/letters on the center exhaust ports of your Pontiac heads?