Thread: engine and axle question

Default engine and axle question

I need some info. help, i have a 1965 d800 scout and i rebuilt the dana 27 axles on it. the question i have is that i want to put a bigger motor in it than the original 196. i just want to know what type of motor would be sufficent a V6 ,straight six or V8, 305, or 350 to run with dana 27's. i don't know if the axles can take the power or torque that a v8 will put out on it. i just need some advice. thank you for your time and help

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve32 View Post
    I need some info. help, i have a 1965 d800 scout and i rebuilt the dana 27 axles on it. the question i have is that i want to put a bigger motor in it than the original 196. i just want to know what type of motor would be sufficent a V6 ,straight six or V8, 305, or 350 to run with dana 27's. i don't know if the axles can take the power or torque that a v8 will put out on it. i just need some advice. thank you for your time and help

steve
    I would not put that much torque on the rear axle. The front axle is probably okay.

The original engine is a 152. If you have a 196, somebody swapped it in. It's a bolt in swap, so it's very likely.

The issues you have with a swap are primarily to do with firewall, steering column, and radiator locations. Moving the radiator forward is easy, and needed for an in-line 6 installation. A V6 is not too bad, because there is room to move it forward a little. I would probably find an old CJ drive train, possibly even a J10 type truck with an in-line. You really don't want too much power in a rig like that. Smooth low end off-idle response is the best. I had an old dodge dart with a 225-6 and 727 auto. Adapt the tailshaft housing from a jeep w/D300 t-case and you'd be doing pretty well.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak