Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana 44 Front Disc Brake Swap

Default Dana 44 Front Disc Brake Swap

I just picked up a '72 SII with Dana 44's front and rear. It's got power drums, and the first thing I wanna do is a front disc brake swap.

What vehicles can I pull the hardware from other than a later SII?

Are you sure it is a Dana 44 on the front with Drums?
    Scout Front Dana 44s were all disk, might want to relook and see if it is a Dana 30. If in fact it is a Dana 44 with Drums on the front it is from a completely different vehicle and who knows what is done.
    But as for parts, you need everything down to and including the knuckles. The axle shafts you dont need, but you will need new ball joints.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

It might also be a Dana 35...But in either case, your best bet is to just buy a junker scout that is 74 or newer and just grab the front axle off of it. Keep us updated on how you do this.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

I didnt even know they made a front version of the 35, i only had that crap in the rear of my YJ... Swapped in a ford 8.8" tho and that was a nice upgrade. I was tired of breaking my spider gears for some reason lol
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

I'm not sure if it was ever a stock option, but the front axle on my '71 is the 35...aint as good as the 44 but its better than the 30's.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

Interesting... I had a 30 in my 72 front before i started swapping in a D44. Would seem strange to go from 35 in 71 to 35 in 72 so your probably right might have been a custom thing or something weird.
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.

~T.J.

But in either case, its getting a 44 swapped in soon as I have the spare time to do it. But with the way everything else was when i picked it up, I wouldn't be supprised in the least bit. The PO were tweakers...so with mine, anything is possible to find.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2

Congrats on swapping in the 44! It turns into a bigger project than you think.. I ended up deciding (half way into the swap) i should probably rebuild the axle..

New axle shaft u joints
    New inner and outer seals
    New pinion + ring gears (re geared)
    New pinion seals + bearings
    New carrier bearings
    New SOLID axle cover
    New Warn all metal locking hubs
    New gaskets, oilseals, spindle bearings etc.
    New ball joints
    Might be a couple things i forgot haha

And don't get me started on tweakers... Just 3 days ago 2 of my 35"s that i had off while i was working on my axle got jacked.. right out of my side yard. The POS who did it must have actually pulled into my parking spot, while i was at work (making money like a real contributor to the economy) and he throws em in his truck and takes off.. And i live on the corner of a pretty busy intersection and none of my neighbors saw anything.

Freaking CRAP!! made me so angry... my brother and I are designing and installing our own custom security system for the garage.. too many expensive welders plasma cutters etc to risk it after that run in with thieves.

On that note.. anyone have any idea where to get Crager type rims in triangles instead of circles for the holes? cause that's all i could find haha and i have the triangle shapes.. if i have to ill just get the circles and have different shapes front vs back lol (but would prefer not :P)

~T.J.

everything I look at points to a D44 - for example, the gear ratio is 3.31:1, which I haven't found available in the D30. also, the ratio tag was about 7 o'clock FLA, whereas the 30 has it at 9 o'clock. I'm just thinking I saw larger than I'm used to disc brake dust shields and assumed they were drums. In that case, yay - and I'm an idiot.

and why did my other posts have to be ok'd by a mod but not this one? i'll repost then:

I pick the rig up tomorrow, so I'll have more info then. And I used this link to find available gear ratios, this link to ID the axles, this link for a picture of the D30, and this link for the pic of the D44. Oh, and I'm new to danas - I've been a muscle car guy my whole life, and this is really the only foray I've had in the off-road world (I did partially rebuild a 79 Bronco, but never did anything to the drivetrain or suspension and didn't own it long).
    Last edited by hookemdevils22; 09-30-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Hookem'
    We weren't trying to say you were an idoit or anything, just trying to help with the correct identification. All the links you have are great links and have been used many times, and I am one that has used them when I first starting looking at scouts.
    I will have to go along with your thinking of the larger then normal dust shields. The shields on the front disc axles measure someting like 12"-13" to cover a 11" disc. It sounds like to me you have disk brakes already retrofited onto the Scout you are about to pick up, if so, Congradulations and post up some pictures so we can all admire your scout, and then please keep asking questions as we will be here to help you or point you in the right direction if needed.

Have you looked into the Arizona club or talked to anyone in it? They are a bunch of great guys and will be more then happy to help you do things.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers