Thread: 76 Scout II

Default 76 Scout II

My scout had been runnning great until one day it would crank up and just go dead... I messed withe the distributor cap and it ran for another day but then did the same thing... I got new wires and distributor and cap and I'm having trouble getting the timing set obviously because it want start ... just asking anyone for suggestions on how this is done.. I'm not a mechanic but i know the firing order and all but just need a little advice.. thanks

Sounds almost like a fuel delivery problem rather than an electrical if it ran fine and then just quit. Have you checked your fuel pump? I had a '79 with a 345 that did pretty much the same thing, and the pump was bad. Once I replaced it, I never had a problem again with it.

Default # 8

Its getting fuel.. but i'll check it.. thanks... what do people mean when they say set the distributor at # 8... does that mean the rotor button points at # 8 cylinder or what?

That means when you're checking your timing, you hook the timing light up to cylinder #8. Just hook the clip onto the #8 spark plug wire.

Default 10-4

thanks a lot.. i got it fired up tonight .. it's missing so i'm going to check the plugs tomorrow and go ahead and replace them.. thanks for the help..