Thread: New Scout guy here... 4WD questions..

Default New Scout guy here... 4WD questions..

Guys, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I had found good info about this here about a year ago but my bookmark is now invalid and I can't find that great posting...

I've gotten my dads old Scout. Its a 74 manual shift with lock o matic hubs. He's had it had since 84. It had about 70k back then and only 105k now. It runs good but has some body rust going on like most of them do.

Here's the question; The 4wd has stopped pulling... I'm not clear on how this works.... you aren't supposed to HAVE to lock the hubs to have 4 wd... a sticker in the glove compartment even says so. The inside lever seems to work... low range works, and you can hear the normal whine going on, but as best as I can tell the front wheels arent pulling. We use it on our land and lots of it is hilly and covered with thick grass. 2wd won't get you up those hills.

The post I found a year ago talked about the lock o matics and how this wasn't too uncommon and to "clean them out" so that they took hold. Can anyone help me here?

thanks. I enjoy lurking and reading here.

Stan

I've never known an event when you didn't have to have them locked in for the 4wd to work. I figured that the "automatic" hubs meant you could keep them locked in and take in and out of 4wd by just using the transfer case.

have you tried to manually lock in the hubs? you might need to take them apart for a good cleaning and greasing.

im not sure why they would have it there unless you need to lock it but it cant hurt to see if it pulls when you lock em

put the back end on a log or something like that and see if it pulls its self off
    i have done that before just make sure nobody is around to get hurt.

Default Lock-O-Matic Hubs

I have the same set of hubs on my scout and they work great. You can use the auto setting for getting yourself out of a little tough spot or for patchy snow, but if you're gonna do some more serious wheelin you need to get out and lock them in. Chances are you just need to take them apart, clean and lube them. Just make sure to get all the roller bearings and the two (if i remember right) springs back in correctly if you want the auto function to work.

I second the cleaning and relubing ideas. Not terribly hard, and a great chance to see if you can pay attention while you're disassembling. The springs are going to be the hard part. Give it a shot! It's a great feeling to work on your own stuff, by the way!

Mike