Thread: 72 Scout II Won't Start

Question 72 Scout II Won't Start

My 72 scout II will not start. It's timed correctly at #8 cylinder, has new points and condenser, new battery, is getting spark. It started once and ran really rough, and backfired, and then died. It will crank over but not start. PLEASE HELP with any ideas of what the problem might be.

sounds like a timing problem to me... just got mine going.. try spinning the rotor button 180 degree's .. be sure its still facing the #8 and @ TDC.. it's a little tricky .. took me a couple of long nights to get it right...getting gas isn't it?? check that ..

If you're absolutely certain it's getting spark, check your fuel mixture and fuel delivery (pump). Backfiring usually means an excessive fuel-to-air ratio.

If your fuel is good, check to make sure all your spark plug wires are in the right order. I got a '72 really cheap once because it wouldn't run right, and the only problem was that the #6 and #8 plug wires were backwards.

Smile Got it running

Got it running..... put the right spark plugs in it. Turns out they had the wrong ones. Thanks for the ideas.