Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: distributor cap

Angry distributor cap

ok everyone some a$$hole came by and unplugged all of my wires from my distributor and now i don't know the correct way to hook them back up. where is the # 1 location on the distributor cap? i have a 1972 pickup 1110 and the firing order is 18436572. any help would be greatly appreciated.

;

look on top of the cap... it will say 1.. start with 8 and go clockwise

unfortunately the cap is not numbered... is there another way to figure it out without having to remove the cap and manually crank the engine? if i had to do it this way do i have to time it again? thanks again

Actually this is pretty easy.
    Tap the engine until the timing mark is at TDC (0).
    Note where the rotor is pointing.
    This is cyl No 8.
    Use this as your starting point and put the plug wires on in order.
    Let it warm up and adjust your timing.

Side question,.. why and how did they get to your engine to pull the plugs off?

Not so fast...

When the timing mark is at TDC, the cylinder might be ready to fire on number 5 or number 8. They both reach TDC at the same time, one on the exhaust, one on the compression stroke. You want the compression stroke.

Normally, the rotor will be pointed toward the front of the engine when it is on number 8. The only way to be sure is to turn the engine over and check, though. Any position can be number 8 or number 1 or whatever, so you simply have to test.

You can turn the engine with a 15/16" deep socket on a ratchet handle using the crankshaft pulley bolt. You do not need to use the starter. The rotor turns clockwise when the engine is turning the right direction. You will want to be tightening the nut on the crankshaft, not loosening it.

It will be easier to reach the number 5 cylinder than the number 8 cylinder. What you do is remove the spark plug and put your finger completely over the hole so that pressure builds as the engine is turned. On the exhaust stroke, there will be no pressure build up. On the compression stroke, there will be pressure until you barely get past the timing mark, and then it will go away. You will feel it if you are on compression stroke. If you find the compression stroke on number 5, you are 180 degrees out on number 8, so one more turn gets you there. If the timing was okay, all you need to do is get them back in order.

You need a friend to help you with this. You won't be able to spin the engine and check for compression at the same time.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Talking

thanks to all for your advice, I've been held up with a sic family but finally got it done. thanks Allen E. for being very descriptive. and to answer rbelflower i dont know why someone would do this I've never had any problems like this before... could have been some punk kids, who knows, as for the how its an old truck all you have to do is pop it open from the outside.. again thanks everyone

Can you check for compression stroke with plugs out and a piece of tissue paper in the plug hole?

Quote Originally Posted by rwc View Post
    Can you check for compression stroke with plugs out and a piece of tissue paper in the plug hole?
    Not very reliably as you'll get some minor pressure (enough to move the tissue paper) when on the exhaust stroke as well. Best method is as Allan has described.

It's probably simple but I am really confused about why 345's are timed off of #8 but the firing order starts with 18436572?

Quote Originally Posted by rwc View Post
    It's probably simple but I am really confused about why 345's are timed off of #8 but the firing order starts with 18436572?
    Because the harmonic balancer just happened to have its weight where number 8 would reach TDC instead of number 1, and that's where you have to put the timing mark so it can be found.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak