Thread: '80 deisel traveler

Default '80 deisel traveler

Is there a way to ID an original turbo deisel Scout from the VIN number? Mine looks all original, but the OR title says gasoline under fuel type and the speedo reads "unleaded fuel only." Thank you for any help

Honestly can't say I know how. The gauges are obviously replaceable, and information on titles is changeable. What do the information tags say for torque and horsepower? And do you have a "vacuum diagram" and "engine family" tags somewhere under the hood?

The info tags on the passenger door don't say anything about horsepower like the pre '75 Scouts I have had did. I didn't see any engine family or vacuum diagram tags under the hood, but on closer look all of the wiring/ tubing / line stuff looks like it has the factory goop and like it's been there since the dawn of the Scout and all of the hardware including motor mount placement etc looks to be very original. I am semi-convinced it is a factory turbo deisel. Oh, one other thing i did notice is that the VIN # has a "D" in it... Don't know if it's code for deisel or not. Thanks for the reply and good job so far on your '80 deisel!!! I'm anxious to see your progress. :-)

Thanks. It's been pretty slow going, and drains me of most of my money, but I just can't help myself.

I'm sure there's a VIN decoder somewhere on the 'net that might be able to help you...

Default 80 deisel traveler

I like deisel for the power and the sound but I hate the smell, and I like gas as long as its not coming out of Matts ass.

Default 80 deisel traveler

I seen a segment on Top Gear that did a comparison on it, and although it wasnt in Oz, there was a 5-8 increase in power. They didnt mention anything about economy. But there is only one way to find out i supose.

Do You have a build sheet, or looked for a build sheet? That should tell you for sure. You also said that yours was turbo diesel? 1980 was the only year for a turbo diesel, so either it is all original and nobody cared wether the title was accurate when it was processed into the states system or someone dropped an accurate engine into that. If you don't have a line setting ticket you can order them from super scout and that will tell you for sure if it is a diesel or not.
    Last edited by burtonone55; 12-26-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Default Line Setting Ticket

Yep, the Line Setting Ticket would tell it all. My October 1980 Terra has it on the line setting ticket about half way down "6-SD33T...". Mine also has a mini line setting ticket on the glove box door inside, not sure if the engine info is on it?

The Vin# doesn't lend to identifying the orig mill. I looked at two other line set ticks I have from previous gas scouts both of 1975 vintage. Both vins begin w/ EGD... My '80 begins w/ KGD...

You could always line up your buddy's SD3T Scout and compare vehicles. Where is engine shutoff knob? Is there dash light above it? Does it have the glow plug dash light above the push button? How about red light to the right of the button?

Good luck with that mystery. Hopefully you're running good and having fun.

Ok thanks for the insight. Everything looks to be in place and original looking. Eng shutoff knob, light, glowplug light on the steering column shroud, wiring loom goop out of the firewall, etc. There is a mini line setting ticket in the glove box, but it is pretty marred up. I should order one just to have it. I'm convinced it's original diesel. Thanks again!