Thread: ignition problems on 74 scout

Default ignition problems on 74 scout

I bought a 74 scout II from a guy said it ran when he parked it. Anyway I went to jump it off and start it - nothing. I hear a ticking noise sounds like coming from behind the glove compartment. I changed out the relay near steering column and also the switch module on top of the steering column. Any suggestions? Oh also changed out coil.

So it's not turning over at all? Check your battery connections on the battery, and on the starter and ground. A clicking sound usually means that the starter isn't getting any power, and IIRC the starter on gassers is on the passenger side; that would explain why the sound is coming from "behind the glove compartment".

Default ignition problem

it sounds like a relay clicking to me. I checked trhe starter and the sound is coming from higher up like in the dash. Where would the gold box be located on the 74

The gold box is not the problem, but it's located on the firewall below the hood latch.

If you have an automatic, the neutral safety switch might be open. If not, the problem is either in your battery, cable, or solenoid. The relay you hear is up under the dash. It provides power to the top small terminal on the solenoid. If you:

1. Put the shifter in park
    2. Set the e-brake
    3. Short the top (S) terminal on the solenoid to the Battery cable terminal (B),

The starter should engage and spin. If you get the clicking sound, chances are it will be coming from the starter.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default ignition

well went from battery to solenoid and nothing. still hear the click under the dash sounds to be coming from behind where the radio goes

Your battery is shot, or your cables are shot, or your starter is bad. My guess is that it's your cables and battery. I would replace the cables and battery and try it again. If you still can't jump from B to S terminal and get it to turn over, the starter is shot.

I'm assuming the wiring is still correct.

On the 74, there is a third wire on the solenoid. This wire provides full power to the coil during the START mode, because when you turn the key to the start position, power to the coil goes away.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default Cold/Hot start problem? This is what fixed our problem...

We purchased a 1978 Scout II (305 Engine) last month with the same problem. The gentleman said he had used it "on the land" and stored it in the barn for 5 years.

First, our mechanic installed a new starter. Got it started, but still had to bang with a rock on the starter (Yes, really, a rock on the side of the street). Then, we tested the battery. The battery tested high enough, but was not getting enough "juice" but to make it work. We then tested to see how much was being generated to the battery. It came out no more than 4. Thus, we knew the problem was not the battery nor the starter in itself. After a lot of research and many trips to the many auto parts stores around us, we finally got an answer. It had a cold start problem AND a hot start problem (Don't ask me the difference. After all the mess this month, I simply can't remember the specifics)

We had to install a remote solenoid starter (push-button in dash), put in a new battery, and cleaned out the carburator. She starts and runs just fine now.
    Now, we're on the hunt for why the vents just blow hot air and why the exhaust seems to be entering the cab. Yep, another trip to the auto parts store