Thread: Pertronix Ignitor II

Default Pertronix Ignitor II

I am planning to replace the points in my 304 with a electronic Ingnitor II system. My question is what concerns should I consider in doing this and what would be the best coil, wire and plug combo to give the best performance? The 304 has just been rebuilt with a RV cam. I want to get as much performance out of this motor as possible. The distributor is a holley #359209-C91 it looks like the Ignitor II #91481 is the one I need.

Quote Originally Posted by cemz581 View Post
    I am planning to replace the points in my 304 with a electronic Ingnitor II system. My question is what concerns should I consider in doing this and what would be the best coil, wire and plug combo to give the best performance? The 304 has just been rebuilt with a RV cam. I want to get as much performance out of this motor as possible. The distributor is a holley #359209-C91 it looks like the Ignitor II #91481 is the one I need.
    The stock coil works just fine. Whichever one you use, make sure that the primary has at least 1.5 ohms of resistance.

Autolite 85 is a really good plug. Use NGK equivalent, also okay. Avoid Champion.

Plug wires, just use something of good quality.

With an RV cam, you will lose bottom end. Each cam is different, so it depends which grind you used. That means the engine will be tuned differently than stock. You will need to experiment. Without knowing what you did to the valve train or compression, it's really impossible to say what else you should do.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

that ignition set up is the best product i have put on my scout starts easier runs smoother i bought the coil to, i heard you only have to use a coil that is for points and not the gold box it will burn that coil up. also make sure you wire it to only be key got otherwise you will burn the coil up
    ---LESS WEIGHT= LESS BROKEN PARTS---

Can you put it on the 4.2L I6 as well? I'm wondering ifthat will help with some of my problems.