Thread: new valve springs?

Default new valve springs?

I was wandering if anyone could help me with this.My mechanic is currently looking over my scout traveler, checking the timing, cleaning the carb, and replacing the flywheel.I asked him to get it running as best as he could meaning to adjust the timing,carb mixtures, etc.He said that i should probably replace the valve springs.He said he could press them down with his thumb and that it shouldnt be that easy to compress.He said that a friend at the machine shop agreed with him since the scout had been sitting for about 4 years.Does this sound right? or are scout valve springs that easy to compress? 345, 727, 1976. thanks

I have never seen that happen, but then, I've never tried.

The valve springs on an SV engine aren't really all that springy, because the valve train is only designed to handle 3800 rpms continuous duty. When you want higher rpms, you normally beef up the valve springs, such as with chevy LS6.

If the top end is not making noise, I would leave the valve springs alone. Sitting does not hurt them, as a general rule. Even very high mileage isn't normally a problem. Sometimes you collapse a lifter, but they pump up after a short time, usually. Keep in mind, this engine was designed for a dump truck. Scouts are an after thought.

There is no flywheel when you have an automatic. There is a flex plate, to which the torque converter bolts. What's wrong with yours? Taking the transmission out is a big deal, but I guess if you have to, you have to. There is no other way to replace it besides pulling the engine.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

mechanic said the fly wheel was cracked or something cause it had a wabble and often when you start it the starter wont catch and it makes an aweful sound.the mechanic said he could easily compress the springs with his thumb.

if it was me i would ask to see what he is talking about on the valve spring. as for the (flywheel) flexplate if it's cracked you will have to get a replacement. the vendors here should have one. don't go to scoutparts.com
    they might have one but you might not get it till spring if then.

If the flex plate has a wobble, you will be able to see it with the inspection plate off. A bad starter also makes that noise and has those symptoms. When you have an automatic, there is a spacer between the starter and the engine block, about 1/4" thick. It is there for that reason, so the teeth will engage the flex plate properly. Look and see if it is in place. When it is missing, the starter sticks too far into the bell housing, and the nose of the starter can hit the back. This causes the symptoms you are getting also.

If your engine was running and not making lifter/valve train noises, you need to back away on replacing the springs. If nothing is loose/broken yet, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not where I can look it up, but I think the spring tension is 125 lbs fully compressed. That means maybe you can push it a little by hand. At least you'll get fresh valve covers out of the deal.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak