Thread: 67 truck/travelall brake question

Default 67 truck/travelall brake question

In 67 and 68 was there a spring attached to the brake pedal that assisted in returning the pedal to the proper, disengaged position?

Quote Originally Posted by damnesia View Post
    In 67 and 68 was there a spring attached to the brake pedal that assisted in returning the pedal to the proper, disengaged position?
    I have one on my 68 travelall. I can't remember if the rest of them had springs or not, but it seems they did. The brake light switch is a button up under the dash, so without the spring, you'd have to depend on hydraulic pressure to return the pedal. Might be the spring I have is a fix for a weak system...
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I heard from two different people that they did and I seem to remember having one on a 1967 Ford truck that I used to drive. I have a good (had it tested) power booster and master cylinder from a 1968 my Traveall now and none of the wheel cylinders leak. The brakes work fine except I have to lift the pedal slightly with my foot after breaking. I only have to move it .25 - .5 inches and I was told it originally came with a spring. However, I am very interested in not covering up brake problems with a spring.

Thanks.

Well, you wouldn't be 'covering up' a problem. What you'd be doing is taking the 'slack' or wear out of the pins, pivots and linkage. The spring is maybe a 5# spring (if that) and won't be contributing to the braking effort. It's actually acting in opposition to the normal applying force. I had a Toyota Corona that had a worn out spring on the pedal, that I never replaced, and that bugger would run the battery dry ( brake lights burning) if I didn't remember to pull the pedal up with my toe. You can minimize the need for the spring by cleaning and lubing the pivot points of the linkage, but I don't think I'd leave it off. Or take it off and leave it.

Mike