Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Scout Hurst?

Default 1970 Scout Hurst?

Did IHC offer a Hurst transmission for 1970 Scouts? I found that there were 5 different transmission options for Scouts in 1970 but cannot find a list of what those 5 were.

Also, was a 345 v8 offered in 1970?

Thanks.

If your Scout has a Hurst shifter, someone has just put the shifter in. The 3 speed auto is a Torqueflite, and it wouldn't be very hard to get one of the Hurst shifter mechanisms in place. As for 5 different trannies, I can only come up with 4: T18, and T19 4 speed manuals, the stock (no options) 3 speed manual and the 3 speed auto. What would the fifth tranny be??

Mike

The transmission options on a 1970 scout were:

Borg Warner automatic. This is often called a BW-12 because it came behind the jaguar 12 cylinder V8 engines of that era. It is also often called a BW 11 for some reason, and common lore is that it is similar to the FMX used by ford. The last one I had rebuilt, the shop owner knew the transmission well, called it a model 12. It was a 2wd model from a travelall, not the mated t-case style in a 4x4 scout. Might have mattered. Dunno.

T-90 3 speed. These were used in scouts from day 1.
    T-18 close ratio 4 speed. Reverse is right and forward. These transmissions use the same top cover as a T98 (which actually says T98), have the same shift pattern, and are very similar in appearance.

A 345 was available in 1970.

In 71, IH used the 727 behind the AMC 6 cylinder... I think. I have one like that, and it looks original.
    In 73, IH used the 727 behind the IH engines. The bell housing on the 727 is enging style specific, so one from a chrysler or AMC or big block chrysler or small block chrysler will not interchange with IH, or with each other.
    In 74, a transition year for scouts, the T19 took the place of the T18. It was available in both wide and close ratio.

those are the 5 transmissions that came stock in scouts. Some came later than 1970, though.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks to both of you.

The one in my Scout is a 4 speed automatic but I am not sure if it is the original one. It also has a 345 in it, which again I am not sure if it was original. I need to tune up the motor and get a carb for it but want to make sure I get the correct parts.

Also, the 345 has brass valve covers which is interesting but I cannot find any information about IHC offering those.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by damnesia View Post
    Thanks to both of you.

The one in my Scout is a 4 speed automatic but I am not sure if it is the original one. It also has a 345 in it, which again I am not sure if it was original. I need to tune up the motor and get a carb for it but want to make sure I get the correct parts.

Also, the 345 has brass valve covers which is interesting but I cannot find any information about IHC offering those.

Thanks again.
    There were no 4 speed automatics offered in scouts. Both the BW and the 727 are 3 speeds. The BW has a separate bell housing, but the 727 is all one cast aluminum piece.

I have never heard of brass valve covers on an SV series engine. I really would like to see that.
    Take a look. If it has a 4 speed auto, it has an adapter. There is a 4 speed allison in my school bus behind a 345, but no possible way would it fit in a scout, and no t-case would be attached.
    Allan E.

I will take a picture of the brass valve covers. They need polished but they are definately brass. Even taping on them sound completely different than the steel ones on my Travelall.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't have a shift indicator, so it may in fact be a 3 speed, I could have counted wrong as it isn't running at the moment. I will check the bell housing.

I forgot to ask, was the 345 offered in Scouts in 1970 800As or just in trucks and Travelalls?

I forgot to ask, was the 345 offered in Scouts in 1970 800As or just in trucks and Travelalls?
    Could it have been ordered special? Probably. However, there is no mention in any sales literature meaning public data sheets or salesmen's ordering guides (and I have a bunch of that) that show the 345 was ever a Scout 800, 800A or 800B option. I know of two guys who have put them in and they have cooling problems with the stock v8 800 radiator. I will only believe a 345 came in an 800 if I see either the original order form or the eventual production line ticket that says so. Same with a TF727 in an 800, I frankly don't believe it but a friend of mine who dismantled a 6 cyl Aristocrat stands firm that he removed one. The BW was found behind the 232s as well as the IH engines.

I thought the 345 was offered starting in the 800B in 71, but I don't recall where I got that impression. The 304 was offered in the 800A in 69 and 70. The late 67 and 68 800 scouts came with 266 engines, but those were discontinued at the end of 68 and replaced with the 304. Pickups and travelalls had them before the scout ever got a V8.

Most people can't tell a 304 from a 345 without close examination. Some people can't even tell after that. The 345 is wider and taller, but only 1/2 inch each way. That's a pretty big engine for only 5.0 or 5.6 Liters, about the same as a 454 chevy, so many people assume the 304 is at least a 345.
    Allan E.

I should be able to tell for sure that its a 345 by the plate right behind the fuel pump, right?