Thread: "new" ih scout 80 wanted!!!!

Default "new" ih scout 80 wanted!!!!

I am searching for an IH Scout 80 that has been through a quality reconditioning. I would like it to be as original as possible but a new engine/transmission would not be terrible, I don't want it to have any rust (maybe some surface rust), no/minimal amount of bondo, it has to be street legal, and no ridiculous mods or cut out dash, fenders, tailgate, etc. I would like frame off/restored one because i recently moved to a new house and it only has one garage and my restored 1973 VW Thing (with 60k original miles and all NOS parts) occupies it. I would be willing to fly anywhere in North America to pick it up and it would need to be able to drive home. I have wanted one of these since I was 9 years old (along with the Thing, a Delorian, and a Pantera) Please help me out. I have looked and found a few Terra's and several 70's frame off restos but only one Scout 80 and it was sold.

Thanks
    -Matt

Default Scout 80

Matt,

Have you found any good Scouts yet ... I am looking for the same. Tony

Default Possibility for you guys

First off, where are you guys located?

Second, I have lines on a couple of good ones, though I would not describe either as "frame-off." If you are being that specific, I can't help you out, but I know of one '64 with a rather straight body, rebuilt engine with only about 5000 miles on it. Good runner, has a tow bar on the front, comes with TONS of parts that go with it (this was built from the best of 3 Scouts, with many parts that might be needed saved for future use). Here is what all comes with it that I know of:

Original owners manual, 2 repair manuels, 2 rear leaf springs, 2 front leaf springs, extra spare tire and rim, one completer front drive train, 1 transfer case, 1 transmission (disassembled) but with all parts and new bearings stored in oil, 4 brake drums, 1 front drive shaft, 1 rear drive shaft, 1 right rear axel, 4 rear axel hubs, 1 steering column and gear box, air cleaner, 5 gallon bucket of misc parts, 2 coffee cans of bolts and nuts, heater blower and motor, speedometer, guages, fuel pump (3), carberator, coil, brake master cylinder, misc bearings in boxes, crome head light rims, rear end stored in oil. At one time I owned three scouts and I parted one out. The scout is sound. There is a place on the body where some plastic body filler is beginning to crack but not bad. Also the transmission has a small leak (I fill up the transmission about once or twice a year with gear lube 90 weight). The Scout is painted with red oxide primer. I did this so when I scratched it in the woods, I just use a spray can of red primer to cover the scratch or scratches. The Scout also comes with a tow bar (see the picture) and a light bar at the rear for towing. I have a dual battery set up installed. The Scout runs well for a scout. The engine has about 5,000 miles maximum on it since a rebuild. The rings are not yet set well.

The Scout is in Southwest NM, which means it is almost completely rust-free, been a desert car its whole life. I know the man that has it, and he is immaculate in almost everything he does. He has had it for many years and uses it as a hunting guide vehicle in the New Mexico mountains, but is just kind of slowing down and has a much newer 4x4 PU that he can use .

SO, if that is appealing to either of you guys, let me know. I think he is pretty firm on $2000 for everything, but he is a bit of a hermit kind of guy anymore, so if you are interested, let me check into everything and get back to you. I do have a couple pics I can send if you send me your email address.

Thanks!

Michael

Default Scout 80

If this is still available, I would be a taker if Matt isn't interested!

Quote Originally Posted by mmerranko View Post
    I am searching for an IH Scout 80 that has been through a quality reconditioning. I would like it to be as original as possible but a new engine/transmission would not be terrible, I don't want it to have any rust (maybe some surface rust), no/minimal amount of bondo, it has to be street legal, and no ridiculous mods or cut out dash, fenders, tailgate, etc. I would like frame off/restored one because i recently moved to a new house and it only has one garage and my restored 1973 VW Thing (with 60k original miles and all NOS parts) occupies it. I would be willing to fly anywhere in North America to pick it up and it would need to be able to drive home. I have wanted one of these since I was 9 years old (along with the Thing, a Delorian, and a Pantera) Please help me out. I have looked and found a few Terra's and several 70's frame off restos but only one Scout 80 and it was sold.

Thanks
    -Matt
    I have a 62 Scout half cab, good body, original paint, 2 small dents but no rust. Early 62 slider windows. 53k original miles. Runs and drives great. Stored 25 years. Pics upon request. Located near Roseburg, Oregon. Drive it home today for $4,500 obo.
    (541)530-7430
    Thanks, Scott
    Last edited by slynn; 08-08-2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Add phone number

Quote Originally Posted by ajcdds View Post
    Matt,

I have what you're looking for. A 62 Scout, half cab, slider windows. 53k original miles. Great running condition. 2 small dents but no rust. Pics upon request. Located near Roseburg, Oregon. Drive home for $4,500 obo. Call 541-530-7430.
    Thanks, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ajcdds View Post
    Matt,

i have a 62 all original scout it runs and drives great it has two small dents no rust everything works drive it daily im asking $4500 obo if interested call me at 541-530-7430

Default Early 60s Scout 4X4

New to this forum, guys...trying to gather whatever info I can about an IH Scout 80 (early 1960s). I do not yet own this vehicle but hope to purchase it soon. If the odometer is correct, the Scout has only 27,000 miles (I seriously doubt that it is 127,000 because of the vehicle condition). A quick glance over this vehicle seems to indicate that the mileage is probably accurate. Other than having faded paint and very minor rust in a couple of locations, the body is very straight and clean...even the grill is straight! BUT, I cannot determine the year this Scout was built. The tag on the engine cowl says "SCOUT 80 4X4 FC 2992" and lists the wheel base as 100 and the net HP at 86 and the gross HP at 93.4, both at 4400 rpm (I am wondering if the "FC 2992" might be some sort of SN...? Other than that, I have found no other identification information. Any ideas from anyone?

Oh, one other thing: I have never seen another Scout quite like this one. This is a half-cab...without the typical pickup bed. It appears that this vehicle came out of the factory without a pickup bed. Instead, the owner had built a wooden bed over the rear frame and axle, much like you would see on a larger pickup dual-wheeled that came from the factory with the cab but no bed and on which the owner would build his own bed (we did this on an old GMC back on the farm in my younger days. I do not think this was a modification in which someone may have cut the factory pickup bed from the cab because the work looks to be too well done...but I could be mistaken. Does anyone know if IH ever built this type of Scout?

Quote Originally Posted by bgottschall View Post
    New to this forum, guys...trying to gather whatever info I can about an IH Scout 80 (early 1960s). I do not yet own this vehicle but hope to purchase it soon. If the odometer is correct, the Scout has only 27,000 miles (I seriously doubt that it is 127,000 because of the vehicle condition). A quick glance over this vehicle seems to indicate that the mileage is probably accurate. Other than having faded paint and very minor rust in a couple of locations, the body is very straight and clean...even the grill is straight! BUT, I cannot determine the year this Scout was built. The tag on the engine cowl says "SCOUT 80 4X4 FC 2992" and lists the wheel base as 100 and the net HP at 86 and the gross HP at 93.4, both at 4400 rpm (I am wondering if the "FC 2992" might be some sort of SN...? Other than that, I have found no other identification information. Any ideas from anyone?

Oh, one other thing: I have never seen another Scout quite like this one. This is a half-cab...without the typical pickup bed. It appears that this vehicle came out of the factory without a pickup bed. Instead, the owner had built a wooden bed over the rear frame and axle, much like you would see on a larger pickup dual-wheeled that came from the factory with the cab but no bed and on which the owner would build his own bed (we did this on an old GMC back on the farm in my younger days. I do not think this was a modification in which someone may have cut the factory pickup bed from the cab because the work looks to be too well done...but I could be mistaken. Does anyone know if IH ever built this type of Scout?
    FC2992 is a 61 scout. The sequence started with FC501, so it would be about number 2500 off the assembly line.

Half cabs were optional equipment on Scout 80/800 models.

The bodies did not have separate beds. Somebody cut the original body off, either at the factory or later. With IH you could order about anything.

To find out, you can use the serial number and get a line set (build sheet) ticket from the Wisconsin Historical Society. The serial number is also on the front frame rail, driver's side, between the front spring hanger. Use a wire brush and see if the numbers match before you go to the trouble. The FC might not be there, might just be the numbers. The numbers are stamped right near the front spring hanger most of the time, but might be anywhere between them. Sometimes they are hard to find, but the wire brush, solvent, and rags do wonders.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I am about to restore a 62 scout 80 half cab, it is in good shape, i drove it going to collage in 1977-79, it has been parked since 1979, it is all original, with the slant 4, no rust and near perfect condition,
    it will be a frame off, i have done this for a living for more than 30 years, this scout will be new! every nut and bolt!, i will be posting photos as i progress, it will be done this spring, if you want a sample of my work, i can send photos of my jeep cj7 that i have completed, i will post photos next week before i start on it, oh, by the way, it is FROM THE soutwest where i live,,,,,,so no rust,,i NEVER restore anything that had rust
    thanks