Thread: 76 Scout II still running rough..

Default 76 Scout II still running rough..

New dist,,plugs,, wires, cap.. still running rough.. skipping when in drive more that when at idle.. just curious if anyone has any pointers on getting the timing right.. on my cap at the #1 , I started with the #8 plug and went clockwise from there.. Is this correct??

Quote Originally Posted by captaindreed View Post
    New dist,,plugs,, wires, cap.. still running rough.. skipping when in drive more that when at idle.. just curious if anyone has any pointers on getting the timing right.. on my cap at the #1 , I started with the #8 plug and went clockwise from there.. Is this correct??
    It must be, because it runs. If you remove the distributor, you could spin the rotor around and end up with it pointing to number 7, 3, 4, whatever.

Timing should be about 5 degrees BTDC at 650 rpm. You tweek the carb, then the timing, then the carb, then the timing, etc. As you adjust the carb, the idle will raise or drop, depending on what you need to do. That will change the rpm, so you'll have to change the timing to compensate, because timing changes with rpm.

Once it is idling at the right speed, you un-block the vacuum advance line and hook it up. At this point, there should be no vacuum on it. If there is, the engine will run okay, but you will have to idle it down some more to compensate. Don't adjust the timing at this point. It will mean you have a blown power valve in the carb and need to replace it. If it starts to run rough when you hook it up, it means the vacuum advance is defective also. Two problems.

After all that is done, and if it is idling smoothly and showing good vacuum, you'll want to see how it reacts. If it still acts crazy, only when you're driving it, the first test I do is plug the vacuum advance and try it again. Blown vacuum diaphrams cause this problem, too.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

okay... i appreciate your time and i will do those tests...hopefully i can ger it right..