Thread: Fuel Pump

Default Fuel Pump

Hey Guys,

I was hopeing to see if anyone could help me out here. I have a 67 scout with the 266 V-8 and the fuel pump is leaking gas like a strainer. The scout has the original pump on it, can it be rebuilt? If not does anyone know if there is an aftermarket replacement as the only one I can find that is an exact match has to be ordered and costs well over a hundred dollars! How about an electric pump? There are few auto parts stores around where I live so if anyone knows of a pump that is carried by either autozone on napa that would be great! Thanks!
    Julio C. Ortiz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had the same issue with my I6 motor, it started leaking out of the wheeping hole. Pulled the old pump off, put a deletion plate on. Went down to Kragen and bought one of the $45 'el cheapo' electric fuel pumps that puts out 8psi. Hooked it all up and ran a wire from the ignition so its only on when the key is turned. Mounted the little bugger to the frame rail and re-routed the fuel lines. All works great now. I've got pictures of what the finished product looks like if you want.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

I think the fuel pump rebuild kit is the same as for a Carter 835. Not sure, though. That's the fuel pump for the IH I-6 (not the AMC, the one in pickups and travelalls thru 68), not the V8, but I think if you find the rebuildable carter pump, it's the same rebuild kit.

Vintage IH might have them, too. Those glass bowl pumps are way cool.

You can get an aftermarket pump without the glass bowl fairly cheap. It's just a generic fuel pump. All 266/304/345/392 are the same, so if it fits one of them, it will bolt on. All you need to worry about is clearance at that point.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Hey Guys'

Thanks for all your help. I was able to find a generic fuel pump at Autozone. The pump is an Airtex Part number 6959 if anyone out there is looking for one. Since I got it AutoZone they HAD TO put it in an application. So it's from a 1973 International Scout with the 345 engine.
    Julio C. Ortiz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.