Thread: 1980 345 alternator crooked?

Default 1980 345 alternator crooked?

I noticed that my alternator belt looked as if it was crooked. I took off the alternator and put it back on and for some reason it is still crooked. It is almost like the alternator bracket is irregular. Like the holes are a little off. Has anyone heard of anything like this before?

Yes, it happens. Sometimes the bolt that is used as the swivel mount ends up in wallowed holes. Sometimes the adjusting arm is on crooked. Sometimes it's just the wrong bracket, or the wrong adjusting arm.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thank you very much Allen. I'm not sure which one of those options I'll try to fix first but at least I know it can probably be fixed.

I had the same thing and the bolt was actually broken inside the bushing. so everytime I put tension on the belt the bracket would "bend" out of place and the belt would come off.
    Desperately trying to get rid of the Scooby stripe and recently ordered lift!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NVScouter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Sweet then you can throw bullet hole stickers and stuff on em and drive around saying RAWR!!!!!!!!!

It could also need some tweaking with washers to get it to line up. It should be dead square with the rest of the pulleys, and in the same plane. Check it with a carpenter's framing square.

Mike