Thread: New here, need advice

Default New here, need advice

I have been a member for a little while now just haven't ever posted I don't think. I have seen some nice scouts around town and on this website. I have some questions. I have a 77 Scout II that my dad left me when he passed away 2 years ago. I have gotten serious about restoring the old girl. It runs like a champ, the AC still blows cold, it starts right up every time. It does smoke a little bit though. The frame and running gear is in great shape. The issue is the cancer. My dad was the 2nd owner, he bought it from the original owner that drove it up north and in Canada for years so the salt got it. The entire rear cargo area is shot, the rear fenders are shot, the end caps are shot, the metal top is pretty bad too. The only good metal really is everything forward of the cargo area behind the front seats forward. There is rust bad in both rear fender areas in front of the wheels at the bottm so bad its all the way into the truck from the outside and has gotten into where the floor pan on the passenger side meets the cargo area lip. I thought about a fiberglass tub but they are 5 grand shipped. I can't find any donor trucks here in Central Florida. Are there any resources you guys can point me towards on how to restore her? I appreciate any help you guys can give. She used to pull a Civil War Cannon around, the original owner was a Civil War reenactor.

Thanks, Jason

Last edited by Azrael0069; 10-08-2009 at 11:28 AM.

If you know how to weld, start fabbing up a new tub.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

I can weld, Do they still make all of the sheet metal I am going to need?

Yes. Pretty much anything you can think of is available somewhere. Super Scout's is a great place to get just about anything you need, new or used. They're not the only place around, but they're the ones I like to go to for my parts.

I thought about going the Fiberglass route, but I haven't found much on how to mate the fiberglass to the metal. Anyone know of any links or websites showing restorations of a Scout II? I have restored other cars but Scouts are put together a bit different.

The "B-Planet" has some builds you could look up. The only fiberglass I've worked with is body filler, so can't help too much with fiberglass body panels.

IF you don't want to keep it as a full body scout, cut it off behind the B pillar, and the center body mounts & turn it into a flat bed. The PO did it to mine and sure made it easier to heat in the winter.

Otherwise you're gonna be in for some grind, weld & restore. Minimal gauge that I've seen going in is 20 gauge for floors. There are a few lightline dealers that still have body panels, otherwise you'll be looking for other rigs to pull parts off of.

I thought about going donor rig route too, there are very slim pickings around here in central FL, either they are worse than what I have or already restored. I thought about custom making the rear cargo area out of some floor diamond plate, its relativly cheap for me to aquire. I will check around for build ups for ideas.