Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some shopping advice

Default Need some shopping advice

Hello all, new guy here from Colorado. I'm hoping to check out a 1974 IH Scout II tomorrow (weather permitting, calling for snow) . It has the 4.2L I6 in it, body looks mint and sounds mint.

What it has. All new brake set up, cylinder, brakes, calipers. New intake and exhaust manifold. New roll bar. 5 new 31in tires, etc

Growing up my dad had a few scouts laying around so I'd like some advice on what exactly I should look for.

I plan on taking it for a test drive, throwing it in 4WD, etc.

Anything specific I should look for. I really wish it had the 345 in it but it's the 258 AMC engine.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

look for the rust floorboards,fenders. the 4.2 bellhousing won't bolt up to the ih-v8

Crap I was afraid it wasn't going to mount up. I was hoping to swap the motor out next summer if I get it.

Do any V8's match up to it or will I have to change it all out?

amc v-8's will bolt up to your bellhousing. don't know about the motor mounts

John, thanks. Weird timing there's a 345 for sale right now for 750

i would get the scout then start collecting parts for the swap. how knows you might be happy with the 4.2

John, yea that's what I plan on doing. I wouldn't do the engine till next summer if I planned on doing it.

I'm kinda of confused on the Dana44's. Some sites they didn't come till 74 some say not.

the one I'm looking at is a 74 so should it have 44's front and back? or 30's front and 44's back?

What's a quick way to determing if they are 44s?

if it has disc brakes on it or not 74 was the year they switched

Just got back from looking at her. She appears to be in really good condition. I didnt' think of it till AFTER I left to check if it had disc brakes. I'll look again.

Hardly any rust, just some by the bottom of the doors. Rear quarter panels are solid. Floor appears to be in pretty good shape. Engine has all new distributor, manifold, fan looks pretty new.

Wheels locked pretty easily but seemed to be some issue getting it into gear. Some grinding going on with it going into 4WD. Maybe operator error. The guy wasn't there it was his dad and he wasn't entirely sure.

Steering is rather loose as well. I was turning her back and forth like crazy to keep her straight. Only other issue I have is the brakes are supposed to be new but it seems like a lot of play in the pedal to get her to stop.

Thoughts?

My transfer cases have always had a slight "grind" to them when you first put it in 4wd. I think it's mostly because they're gear-driven cases and not chain driven.

For steering, replace your rag joint. It's a cheap fix and better to have it done now than get stuck somewhere needing it later (or worse, have it give out on the road). There's more in-depth things to do, but that's where I'd start first.

For the brakes, your master cylinder might be going bad. Most of the time "new brakes" only means the lower half of the system and not the top half.