Thread: Oil pressure on my '75 scout II

Default Oil pressure on my '75 scout II

I'm wondering what my pressure should be. 345 with under 80000 miles, and I replaced the sending unit and it still reads just a hair over the quarter mark on the gauge. Do I need to rebuild the pump?

Is this right when you start it up or after it's run for a while? 345's usually drop pressure after they've warmed up, and that's completely normal. Also, if you do a lot of highway driving, make sure you're running enough oil. Manuals suggest adding an extra quart over "full" because the pumps will suck the pan dry with extended highway driving.

When it first starts it's just below the half way mark and the it drops to the quarter, sometimes a little below. I drive 5 miles to work with no stop lights or signs on a 35mph mountain road so I wouldn't quiite call it highway driving. I could add a quart and see what happens I guess

It's been a while since I drove a gasser Scout, but that sounds normal.

My 345 does about the same as yours, except mine has about 200k on the motor. 35-50psi on startup (halfway) 50 being high and cold. Then about 25 or a quarter in your case under a normal load at about 35mph. 10-15 at idle in gear when warm.