Thread: scout 80 axles?

Default scout 80 axles?

Just how strong are stock Scout 80 axles? I have a '63 with all wheel drive. Im just curious because i have a pair of Scout 800 awd axles under my jeep and i love em. I brought home my grandpa's 80 today and they look much "lighter".

Not too stout.

The axles are Dana 25 and 27...essentially identical to early CJ jeeps. Only real difference is width. And no, they're not real strong, but they will live for a while if you treat them well. They'll stand up to a stock Buick v-6, but don't pop the clutch or you'll find the limits fairly quickly!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly4008 View Post
    Just how strong are stock Scout 80 axles? I have a '63 with all wheel drive. Im just curious because i have a pair of Scout 800 awd axles under my jeep and i love em. I brought home my grandpa's 80 today and they look much "lighter".
    Scout 800 axles are D44 rear and either D27 or D30 front, depending on year. Definitely more stout than the D27, which is why IH had to switch. The 27 isn't made to handle the torque of the V8.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

If you have the 4 banger and stay with small tires all will be well. Most likely your axles have lasted 46 years. I run this tread pattern http://www.ok4wd.com/images/product/...mudder_008.jpg on 29" tires and no complaints from the axles.

my '63 scout 80 has a broken front end from the previous owner pushing snow with a plow on the front. I haven't tore into it to see what killed it but nothing spins. Thats all original exept the plow.

Whats the most typical breaking point on these axles? Axle shafts?

Usually the short side shaft, but I've really only seen that in housings with a locker. The spider gears could blow or the teeth could get broken off the pinion also.

Wow, looking at my previous post I see I named about everything in your housing, why not throw a cracked carrier and broken shaft joints while I'm at it. Geez, what good am I?

Yeah, i'll probly just run em until they break. Which for me will probably be out in the middle of no where.

How well do Bronco axles fit under there? Just curious for future reference.