Thread: what RV cam to run or not?

Default what RV cam to run or not?

Im sitting on a rebuilt long block in my garage in which ive already gasket matched ported and polished the heads. I'll be running a four barrel edlebrock 600 just like before and would like to run a cam. In mind i have something just over stock, an RV type to keep the low mid torque and maybe get some extra top end for the sand and mud. Ive been looking hard at the schneider cam, id like to get some feedback from the folks who run an RV cam and how do you like it. By the way i have a scout II 345, 456's in the pumpkins on 33's for now 35's in the future. Also id like to run fuel injection in the near future and don't know how the cam would affect that.

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    Im sitting on a rebuilt long block in my garage in which ive already gasket matched ported and polished the heads. I'll be running a four barrel edlebrock 600 just like before and would like to run a cam. In mind i have something just over stock, an RV type to keep the low mid torque and maybe get some extra top end for the sand and mud. Ive been looking hard at the schneider cam, id like to get some feedback from the folks who run an RV cam and how do you like it. By the way i have a scout II 345, 456's in the pumpkins on 33's for now 35's in the future. Also id like to run fuel injection in the near future and don't know how the cam would affect that.
    If you have opened up the exhaust and intend to keep the rpms up, you will need heavier valve springs for the higher rpm. Some people use LS6 Chevy springs, and some use the ones out of a chrysler 340, like out of a gold duster.

The 456 gearing means you'll be running higher rpms. I'm not a real big fan of RV cams in an SV engine, but moving the power band slightly higher really doesn't hurt in a scout. I really wouldn't go too high with it.

If you go with the 4 barrel carb, you might want to hand onto a 2 barrel 345 manifold for when you switch to EFI. The cam, if properly set up, would help, not hurt.

Pick a target cruise rpm and decide. Crusing with the stock cam is about 2400 rpms in a scout with 345. Some people want to raise that up around 2900 or so. I prefer the 2400 range. Tire size vs gearing tells you what you need to know. You may find that very little over a stock grind is great, and you may not want that extra top end that boosts the cost of the head work so much.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    If you have opened up the exhaust and intend to keep the rpms up, you will need heavier valve springs for the higher rpm. Some people use LS6 Chevy springs, and some use the ones out of a chrysler 340, like out of a gold duster.

The 456 gearing means you'll be running higher rpms. I'm not a real big fan of RV cams in an SV engine, but moving the power band slightly higher really doesn't hurt in a scout. I really wouldn't go too high with it.

If you go with the 4 barrel carb, you might want to hand onto a 2 barrel 345 manifold for when you switch to EFI. The cam, if properly set up, would help, not hurt.

Pick a target cruise rpm and decide. Crusing with the stock cam is about 2400 rpms in a scout with 345. Some people want to raise that up around 2900 or so. I prefer the 2400 range. Tire size vs gearing tells you what you need to know. You may find that very little over a stock grind is great, and you may not want that extra top end that boosts the cost of the head work so much.
    thanks for the advice allen, I agree that a little over stock should be a good safe zone. So now what cam do i choose, an Isky from IH only? I don't like the descriptions of the Isky cam on the website, too much tecnical data and not enough idiot data, and the decriptions are unclear which is the RV slightly over stock cam. On Anything Scout website im a lot more comfortable with the decription of the Schneider cam but I need some opionions. And whats the differance between the sinlge and two stage cams??