Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got it!

Default Got it!

Picked her up tonight.

New owner of a 74 Scout II with the 4.2L I6 dana 30's front 44's in the back, disc brakes, etc

Had a few more knowledgeable buddies go look at it for me and they all said "If you don't buy it I will" So I knew a had good deal then.

Of course she'll need some work done to her. I need to get a list going on that. But overall I think I got a great deal

Here is the first photo, sorry it's a night and kind of crappy. I'll get some new ones tomorrow hopefully

If it's a '74 and has disk brakes, you have a 44 upfront and not a 30
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Wow, that photo is a lot crappier then I thought.

The owner told me 30's but I'll have to double heck.

She already left me sitting. I think the way the truck was parked and maybe the fact I filled her up starved the engine for a little bit. Not sure but after awhile she was ready to go. I probably should have let her warm up a bit as well before taking off. Old gal needs some love first before taking off.

For the 4.2L owners, is it common to have a single barrel carb on it? Single barrel + 7500 elevation + probably never tuned for it = bogging down.
    Last edited by Rascus; 10-14-2009 at 02:07 AM.

My sister has a jeep she put a motorcraft carb on it runs better gets better mpg's more get-up and go too. it think it was a 2100 or a 2300 i will check with her.

John I'd appreciate that. I looked up the 2100 it says it goes on the V8 but the picture said it fits the I6 so if you could clarify that for me. Thanks!

I have the 258 in my jeep.. If you can get me a picture of the engine, and of the front axle housing (from the front of the cover) I can ID if u have a 44/30 and if you have a 258 or a V8 ha ha

the iding of 44 vs 30 is easy

30 think circle, 44 think.. not circle lol

http://www.800-923-jeep.com/techCorner/axle_id.cfm
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    If it's a '74 and has disk brakes, you have a 44 upfront and not a 30
    That is not correct. Discs came on both D44 and D30 front axles in 74. So did drums. You have to look at the diff cover and brake hardware to be sure of what you have on a 74.
    The knuckles are the same on all 4, if I recall correctly. You can convert from drum to disc on either axle. I believe the axle shafts are the same as well. Not a hard conversion if you have a later scout donor setup.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Rascus View Post
    John I'd appreciate that. I looked up the 2100 it says it goes on the V8 but the picture said it fits the I6 so if you could clarify that for me. Thanks!
    The stock carb for the I-6 (AMC) is a 1 barrel (Holley 1940?), IIRC, but there are a lot of aftermarket parts for those engines. Lots of folks use a weber progressive, and you can also get an adapter and use a 2 barrel. I'm really not sure why anybody would do that on a stock engine, or on one that needed good low end throttle response, but I'm sure there are reasons. One of them is a lack of availability of stock replacement carbs.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Any reason why she may stall out from a dead stop? Once I get her going she's good but if I come to a dead stop and try to take off and unless I tromp on it she'll die on me.

I think where my fuel sending plumb is at there's a leak as I found gas on the ground this morning. Full tank, sitting on an angle i think the gasket may be leaking on it. Could it be air getting into the system?

It only does it when I leave from a start.

Tried out the 4WD on it and it worked great.

Here's a better pic of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    That is not correct. Discs came on both D44 and D30 front axles in 74. So did drums. You have to look at the diff cover and brake hardware to be sure of what you have on a 74.
    The knuckles are the same on all 4, if I recall correctly. You can convert from drum to disc on either axle. I believe the axle shafts are the same as well. Not a hard conversion if you have a later scout donor setup.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Allan, I learn something new here everyday.
    And as for the carb on the I6, they are the 1940 Holley...It might not be all, but the one's that I've come across were 4542 part numbers...a real PITA to find parts for.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012