Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Scout, First Post

Default First Scout, First Post

Hey guys, I'm regular over on JeepForum but just picked up my first scout the other day. Its a 1970 800A with what I think is a 304 and a T18/D20 combo? Would this have been a driveline setup in 1970? I havent had a chance to crawl around under the hood much yet but thought I'd introduce myself.

I guess I need a couple more posts before I an put a pic up but its the same color scheme and model as the one built up on Xtreme 4x4 (although I think mine is in a little better condition
    1970 Scout 800A (just purchased)

1985 CJ7 5.3/4L60E/D300TS

So I'm probably going to have a lot of questions so here's the first round

1) The drivers door really doesnt want to stay closed and the latching mechanism is different from anything I've encountered in my daily drivers or my CJ7... Any comments or little tips about these doors I should know?

2) I got this thing for $1000 but the PO had no keys for it. How hard will keys be to find for this from a locksmith or should I just have new lock cylinders installed? I guess what I'm asking is did IH use some weird key design that the average locksmith wouldnt have?

OK Pics.... Sorry if they arent great photos...they were taken with a camera phone

Stock drive train, yes.
    Key cylinders are generic, locksmith can find blanks no problem. If the doors have locks, that's the tricky part. You can try to get the ignition keyed the same, but personally, I wouldn't bother. Just drop in a new ignition switch and get some keys made for the door locks.

The door latches are also somewhat generic, but I can't help you with the fix. Somebody else will have to address that one.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Looks like a pretty clean rig. I just picked up my first one the other day as well. Look at "Got it" thread a few down from here.

Welcome!

Nice Ride, a great place to learn Binder

Default Sr2

Looks pretty nice. I have the same one with a six cyl 4spd. Check under the passenger side dashboard for a sticker that might say doll-up. That would mean its an SR2, which only 2500 were made and only 500 were gold. I've
    seen those black vinyl door panels go for 200 bucks on ebay. Good luck

Thanks! I'm going home this weekend so I'll check it out!

I have a 78 that had the same no key issue. It wasnt hard to replace the cylinder. Mine had a gm cylinder i would recomend taking your old cylinder with you so you get the right one ie; matching groove patterns.

Well no tag saying anytyhing about dolled up version under the dash....in fact no tag at all under there where you mentioned...maybe it was removed?

I'll take the ignition switch out and take it to the parts store and get a replacement.

So now that I've gotten to see it in person. The first of MANY questions comes up. I have dual gas tanks and a switch on the dash to go from right to left. Are there separate pumps for each tank or does that switch only affect the Fuel Gauge? The fill holes are full of rust on both sides as well as the fuel lines below look pretty bad so I imagine it'll all have to be replaced... which leads me to my next question.

Who would you guys suggest checking out for replacement parts like these? in the Jeep world there are TONS of vendors everywhere for this type of stuff but I'm not seeing much for the Scout 800's online.