Thread: 67 Travelall heater core

Default 67 Travelall heater core

I removed the heater core out of my 67 Travelall and took it to Napa. The guy said, over the phone, that he could find a new one for it or find one that matched. I took it in when and the first thing out of his mouth was "I have never seen a heater core like that". I knew that was a bad sign. He called me back two days later and said he couldn't find one and would send it off to see if it could be repaired. I just go a call and it can be repaired for $400. That seems a little steep and out of my budget for now.

So, does anyone have ideas on what I can do at this point, short of investing in sweaters and wiping the inside of the windshield off with a towel? I have that down but would like some warmth this winter.

Thanks.

have you checked with the scout vendors? like the scout connection. or ih only

I checked on all of the websites that I know of and didn't see any. I suppose I could contact them all and ask.

Thanks.

It really helps to tell folks where you are in your signature line. Sometimes somebody near you has one. I encourage everybody to at least put the state they are in, and the general section if it's a big state. It doesn't do much good to have a community to help each other out if we never accomplish it.

They came in two styles, but the tubes through the firewall match up, and so do the bolts, which is really the major issue. The heaters from an early style (60s and early 70s with the gull wing hood) loadstar will also work. They're the "heavy duty" version for the travelall.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for the advice, I just added it.

I will check into loadstar heater cores. This one in the C shape is the oddest one I have ever seen.

Thanks again.

I think I misunderstood your reply. The old Loadstar ones like:

http://radiatorgroup.com/RG9407inter...eatercore.aspx

and the other did the other type originally come in?

Thanks.

Default 67 Travelall heater core

Take the core to a local radiator shop. Most should be able to replace the core and re-use the same tanks. Find something to fill the area to block the air flow that will other wise flow around the heater core. That fiber material was used to seal old style plumbing clay pipe sections and hasn't been made for a long time. Consider using the round foam weather stripping to fill the gaps.
    Bill Bennett 68 Travelall

Thanks Bill. The local radiator repair shop wanted 400$ to fix it and I am looking for a cheaper alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by damnesia View Post
    Thanks Bill. The local radiator repair shop wanted 400$ to fix it and I am looking for a cheaper alternative.
    Find a new heater with the same dimensions and have the radiator shop swap your tanks onto it. Thats how we do it.Don't go through Napa because all they do is have it recore and double the price.

If you have a circular heater then your probly stuck with whatever the shop wants to recore or repair it.
    Last edited by Chris Leggett; 10-16-2009 at 01:34 PM.