Thread: Filters for Scout II

Default Filters for Scout II

Ok, I'm having no luck finding what oil filter fits this truck. Every search I pull up for a 74 Scout II doesn't show the 4.2L I6. Only the 4cyl and the two V8's.

I'd really like to put all new oil and filters in her but I'm not having any luck.

checkers gave me one based off of the Jeep 84 CJ-7 4.2 but it's way too small

Will the ones listed for the 4cyl match up?

Thanks

No the oil filter for the 4cyl will not fit or be ok.
    I run the 258 I6 and it also shows up that it doesn't exist, so I tell them to look it up for the 232 I6. Works great.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

232 I6 is the engine previous to the 258 correct? Will the local auto parts store have the filters I need?

The 258 is only a Stroked 232, and they both came in scouts...your local Kragen, Napa or Autozone should have it in their computer.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

in my 78 scout II, I have a 304 V8 granted, but it calls for a Fram PH8A, witch is a 1quart filter, but the 2qt. version of that is the PH977A. That really doesn't make a difference to you, exept that this is the same filter they use in the ford 300 I6. It might work, I don't know.

Most of the computers won't show the I6 under a Scout II, you need to tell them it's a 100 Series & you'll get your parts.

I don't have the numbers handy, but will check when I get home for the filter. I have a Fram PH25 on the engine right now, with an oil change coming in the next couple days.

The 232 will also help IF it shows in their computer, most of the time it doesn't.

HTH

Bill

EDIT:

Ok, I've edited for what I have on my '74. Compatible models include Wix 51049 or K&N HP2003 and others.
    Last edited by baldscout; 10-20-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Filter number change