Thread: Scout II Tow Hitch

Default Scout II Tow Hitch

I am looking to install a tow hitch on my 1979 Scout II. I would like to purchase a 6'x10' trailer with a 2200lb load capacity (or similiar). My Scout is a 345 V8 with automatic transmission.

Is one Class 3 hitch the same as another, or is one brand better than another? Is there any concern on engine/vehicle wear and tear for using a trailer like this on a limited basis in mostly flat terrain? Do I just need to buy a the hitch itself or are there other pieces needed? Any other suggestions or items that I might be overlooking?

Thanks for any and all information!

No real issues. A Class 3 hitch will work fine.

The only real issue here is handling and weight distribution. 2200 lbs is not that much for a scout, and a standard 4 pin trailer plug should be all you need for electrical.

I just get a kit and fab up what I need. Grade 8 or 9 bolts are better than welds is you have everything fit nice and snug because you don't weaken the metal.

If you measure the locations available on the frame before you pick a kit, you might find something where the bolt holes line up, so there will be less drilling. I don't know one brand from another, or model, or any of that. I just treat every job as a custom project. With luck, there is somebody smarter than me who did the research.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Contact Mark at ScoutMADNESS and just order a reciever hitch that will bolt up in the stock locations and then you wont have any worries. I have one and love it. dont use it for towing, but have used it to help pull people out of the sand.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

I bought a hitch off of a wrecked scout off of caigslist. I had to remove the step bumper and it bolted up perfectly but it pushed the brackets for the step bumper in to far and they wouldn't line up anymore. I had to weld some triangle pieces of diamond plate to the new hitch for the step bumper to bolt back up.

As far as the trailer I have a part time remodeling business and I pull a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer. I have 1979 with the 345 and 60 to 65 mph top speed with over passes. I am still looking for a four barrel intake and I think it can do better.

I got one from Sean at Anything Scout in California. It bolted right in and works with the fuel tank skid plate.