Thread: Engine Swap

Default Engine Swap

Just bought a 1979 Scout, It has a 392 was once a diesel. I need to rebuild her but was thinking maybe throwing a 350 GM instead. How much a pain is that going to be? She is a 4 speed and runs ok now, but is leaking oil and low compression in one cylinder. Does it make sense to go through the trouble and the expense of swapping engines?

If you do have the 392... i would suggest not going for the swap. People charge quite abit of money for rebuild able 392's and i think they are pretty sought after.

If you do end up doing it... U can always give me ur old 392 and i can swap out my 350 back to IH engine once i rebuild it hehe

If you do the swap, you will need a adapter that AA makes. Dont know the price tho, other than that the four speed should work.

Goodluck on the project!
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

I think the adapter is around 600 dollars. Once you have that its making brackets and welding. If you want to go with an alternate power plant it opens things up. Better gas mileage (maybe), aftermarket parts, more available parts, the engines lighter. 392 is a powerful engine even when it doesn't run right. There was a nice 392 build floating around the internet to get nice power out of it if its non-improved cooling and you keep it.
    Otherwise I'll take it off your hands too!

Or you can hunt for a bell housing. You shouldn't need the adapter if its manual.

Did GM use the T19? What was the application?
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem Scout View Post
    Just bought a 1979 Scout, It has a 392 was once a diesel. I need to rebuild her but was thinking maybe throwing a 350 GM instead. How much a pain is that going to be? She is a 4 speed and runs ok now, but is leaking oil and low compression in one cylinder. Does it make sense to go through the trouble and the expense of swapping engines?
    I don't think swapping engines is smart unless it also includes swapping transmissions. It makes no sense to spend so much labor and parts adapting something you can just buy for a lot less. A GM 4x4 with mated t-case and all you do is fab up the mounting brackets, re-size driveshafts, and the rest is stuff you'd do on a swap anyway. This is especially true if you switch to automatic. Sure, you have to make a new transmission mount, but that's easy compared to coming up with the right clutch disc to use with the GM flywheel, properly spacing the adapter, etc. and you have to fab engine mounts, so you'd already have the welder out.

A 392 has far more torque at idle to 2000 rpms, but nowhere near the top end of a 350 chevy engine, and won't spin up as fast, either. The 350 will run away from the 392. Personally, I wouldn't drive most scouts over 80 mph anyway, so a 350 would be of no benefit to me. External parts cost the same. You can adapt the EFI from the chevy 350 to the 392, so if you know what you're doing there, it's also a wash.

Differences in towing are negligible, because your limitation is your suspension and ability to get heat out of the engine compartment, not the engine power.

If you make a swap of this type, do it because you want the end result. There is no money to be saved here, and often it will cost you more, even if the GM stuff is free. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It just means that you should be sure the swap benefits you more than the rebuild when all is said and done, because you still have to drive it.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    Did GM use the T19? What was the application?
    Hmm. No...no they did not. Ford did. Now that I think about it I don't know if the pattern matches. I know I have some crayons here somewhere...

Go with the 392.

I've got one and it is an unbelievable engine.

Very reliable and very powerful.

I believe that parts are pretty easy to come by as I myself have been looking to rebuild my 392.

I have found several parts (gasket sets, headers, heads, etc) on 'ebay'.

The 392's have to be one of my favourite engines!

HC.

and properly taken care of the 392 will last longer than a chebby i like the low end torque of a 392.

Quote Originally Posted by john breeze View Post
    and properly taken care of the 392 will last longer than a chebby i like the low end torque of a 392.
    ---Personally, I hate em. However, I am not afeared to say that if you're talking a good* pre-75 Chitvy 350... well, even if not properly taken care of, I think it will outlast a 350 period... LOL. Be a tough call if it was a good ol' 350.. nah, not too many of those reached 400k+ compared to IHs.

---Internal parts are fairly cheap for the SV8s if you shop around and there's lots of aftermarket ideas & products alike. I honestly think a 392 is a bit of an anchor for a Scout II, but if that's what you have to work with, maybe do as some others have done and go with a mild cam, working your way out to 345 heads.

---If you have money to burn, bore out that 392 to fit sleeves and install whatever pistons fit the sleeve's ID. Then it will outlast perty much anything with simple sleeve replacements in the distant future. Nah, you don't have time for my pipe dreams and besides, that's my 304 talk where I build a stroked 304... LOL

---I thought the T bolt pattern fit all. T-5s, T-10s, T18s, etc. If you mounted a T behind a bell housing that used a T, it would bolt up (like say, a bellhousing from a 1970.5 350LT Camaro or the many GMs that used a T-10 in the 70s)... but not only as Allan E. stated about the clutch components, you'd also have to worry about output shaft length.

---My 2 will always say "not worth it" when it comes to time, effort, etc., etc.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed