Thread: carburetor for a 345

Default carburetor for a 345

I have a 345 that has no carburetor. It has a 4 barrel intake. I was thinking of getting a small CFM carb for it. The smallest CFM from Holley that I can find is 600. The only reason I look at Holleys is I am looking for one that I can rebuild and I have rebuilt Holleys in the past.

Any suggest or advice on what I should get?

Thanks.

Holley makes a 390 cfm carb, I think. Plenty for an IH engine.

I have gotten 13 mpg from a 392 w/ Edelbrock 1405. I had one scout that got 15 with that setup, but it had 3.07 gears, and I could only run 31 inch tires on it. Not enough rpm on the freeway otherwise unless I ran 75 mph.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Overall where you happy with the Edelbrock? I have never owned one, just Holley and one Carter. The Edelbrock's price tag looks more inviting....

Quote Originally Posted by damnesia View Post
    Overall where you happy with the Edelbrock? I have never owned one, just Holley and one Carter. The Edelbrock's price tag looks more inviting....
    The Edelbrock ran just fine. You really want a vacuum gauge for fine tuning. The tweeking instructions are in the box. The jets and metering rod (I think that's what they're called, but I forget stuff like that) were not expensive. The vacuum gauge and a little forethought and you'll end up with the right set the first time you guess at the needed adjustment. Altitude matters. On a 345, I start with initial timing at 5 degrees BTDC plus one degree for every 1200 feet of altitude. Today's gas prices make it worthwhile to play with that a little. You may find that it runs with slightly too much advance (and I mean slightly, just barely pings going up hills at low rpm) and just switching to high octane fuel. Might boost your fuel economy more than the % of cost difference. I have a 345 that pings if it doesn't get 91 octane. Gives me 20% higher fuel economy that way compared to retarding the timing to the normal setting. 4 barrel makes all that easier to figure out.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default carburetor for a 345

Hey Guys-
    I just purchased a complete carburetor rebuild kit, from Owens Export, and plan on rebuilding my spare Zenith carb. Before I do though I wanted to check with the forum to see if anyone has a good resource for information on exactly how to do it? Should I just be going to a TM or is there another link or past post I should be studying?
    Thanks,
    Matt-

Quote Originally Posted by hakcrame73 View Post
    Hey Guys-
    I just purchased a complete carburetor rebuild kit, from Owens Export, and plan on rebuilding my spare Zenith carb...
    -ZENITH!

---Is that a tractor you're referring to? I haven't seen a Zenith part on a Scout since I pulled my secondary Sediment Bowl/Filter off my carburetor the other day and never had prior to that.

---Lemme/Lettuce get an idea what vehicle that Zenith is off of, and I am sure we can set you up with, if nothing else, a place that has reprinted or even original manuals.

---If tractor, one of my all-time fave places is Yesterday's Tractors and I've seen a few other, besides myself, BBers/BPers around them thar parts too.
    Last edited by Thomas; 10-27-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed