Thread: Centech wiring harness

Default Centech wiring harness

Has anybody used one of the Centech Universal wiring harnesses in a Scout II? I bought a new one on Ebay and was curious if there was anything I needed to look out for or get before I started the install. This kit looks to be high quality. The only part I don't think I like is that the whole bundle of wires goes through the firewall using a round grommet to protect it. The original harness QD firewall connectors were melted on my Scout but I would like to find something similar to use. Any help?

JM

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Moonfur View Post
    Has anybody used one of the Centech Universal wiring harnesses in a Scout II? I bought a new one on Ebay and was curious if there was anything I needed to look out for or get before I started the install. This kit looks to be high quality. The only part I don't think I like is that the whole bundle of wires goes through the firewall using a round grommet to protect it. The original harness QD firewall connectors were melted on my Scout but I would like to find something similar to use. Any help?

JM
    Be happy about the new setup. The bulkhead connector is 90% of the wiring problems in a scout.

I have never used one of the centech harnesses. I always just replace the wires one at a time. The only hard part is reaching under the dash because my hands don't fit. Just make sure you have labels you can read 10 years from now. The circuits themselves are simple.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Reaching in won't be a problem. I have stripped everything out of the cabin so that I can clean out all the nests and cobwebs and do this re-wire right. I've never done a complete harness replacement before but I was having so many electrical gremlins that it looked like the best solution. My only concern with the firewall arrangement was that the grommet didn't really "seal" the cabin from the engine bay but maybe that isn't such an issue. After seeing the condition of the QD connectors that I removed I can see why you say they are the cause of so much grief.

JM