Thread: Scout 80 Axle swap

Default Scout 80 Axle swap

I have a 1964 scout 80 and want to put different axles in it, to get rid of the
    dana 27. I would like dana 44's, what is the best vehicle to get them out of?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch11 View Post
    I have a 1964 scout 80 and want to put different axles in it, to get rid of the
    dana 27. I would like dana 44's, what is the best vehicle to get them out of?
    You will have to move the springs on the front. If you want spring over, spring under, want the same lug pattern, all of these are part of the choice, but you will still have to move the spring perches. There will be some welding involved, and some planning, too. You might be able to find a D30 from a scout 800 instead. That's what I would do.

Scout 80s came with an optional D44 rear if you can find one. The carrier was offset in 64 due to the t-case, but the centered carrier from any Scout 80 or 800 from 65 and later would also work. I wouldn't go that route. I would use something more modern, like from a ramcharger, scout II, or any of several other vehicles. The ford 9 is a better axle, too. If I was going to do this, I would find a more modern ford 9 w/disc brakes and a front 44 from an early 80s blazer and go spring over for my first choice. Otherwise, I would just go with Scout 800 axles and stay with drums and a stock height ride.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Im still a newbie when it comes to Scouts, but arent chevy, dodge, and scout II axles wider? Some of the early broncos had Dana 44 front axles, MOST broncos had 9" rears with limited slip diffs. Dont know what the width is on bronc' axles. There WILL be welding on the front axle install. Broncos used coils up front instead of leafs. You could get really involved and convert your scout to coils up front....

The easiest axle swap by far to update from your D27s are a set of D30/44s out of a Scout 800. The rear D44 from 1969 to 71 is the exact same axle as the rear D44 out of a SII with the exception that it is the correct width and perch spacing and the SII axle is not. You can do a disc conversion on the front closed knuckle D30, but the donor parts are being harder to come by as more people end up doing this swap. Scout 800 axles are the only axles that will pretty much roll right under the 80.

If you are set on a D44 for the front, the SII front D44 is the way to go. As mentioned, a lot of work will go into this front swap even if you want to stay SUA. IF done properly, it is an excellent and preferred swap. THe SII front D44 is wider than the Scout 800 axles by about 3", but I have not seen a Scout that looked funny at this width. Some work will have to be done on the passenger perch which will be much more difficult than just moving the driver's perch outboard. Using FS axles on an 80/800 looks bizarre to me, but that is just my opinion. In any case, if you deviate from stock 80/800 axle setups, you will also need a custom drag link, and if you go this far, a power steering conversion from the same SII donor will make your life and the job easier.

Something you will have to consider on any non stock axle swap is caster, which on most SII axles is 0*, deadly on a Scout 80/800. Caster shims can help but a cut and turn on the knuckles is the most accurate way to achieve caster correction. If you are staying SUA, you may only need 3* to 5*, but if you go SOA, lift, big tires etc you may need more.

As mentioned, your stock D27 is likely offset to compensate for the D18 transfer case, so your rear driveshaft will need to be lengthened if you use a centered differential. If you plan on a lift, you will run into a compound angle and phase problem with the universal joints. You may be able to find a driveshaft off a Scout 80 with a centered differential, but I would count on having a longer tube put in between your shaft ends if they aren't too worn out. The front driveshaft will need shortening as the SII D44 has a deeper differential and the yoke is closer to the transfer output. For that matter, the longer pinion housing of the D44 may make up the few inches lost to centering the diff??????? Can't answer that one, it would take a mockup to be sure.

If you start down the road towards a Bronco axle swap, keep in mind the front is a driver's drop and you will be required to address your transmission and transfer case. Way too far out for a Scout 80 IMO. It opens up other cans of worms, like exhaust routing, steering re-engineering, etc. Glad you like the Scout and all but at that point why not just go buy a Bronco? As far as locking/limited slip diffs., the only Scout 80s and 800s I have seen without them are ones equipped with open rear D27s, which were rarely equipped this way. Every D44R in an 80 or 800 that I have found had either a PowrLok or TracLok diff.

reply to thread above lots of good info thanks.. I have a 78 SII as you know it came with stock D44s.. I am looking for the best way to spring it over.. But concerned about the that model D44.. because it looks like the spring perch is cast into the diff on the front pass.. Am I over thinking it or can i just do some grinding to the diff, weld a perch on top then make my adjustments to the steering,drivline,ect.. will i have to adress the caster??? any info will be appreciated.

You are on the right track on all counts, except for the use of the word "just." There are threads on this subject on binderplanet and probably on the justIH site as well.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

thanks allan. I see what u mean about the word just, although it is a 4 letter word.. haha. I'll see if I can find info on some more threads.. Thanks again I'll see u there

Default scout 800 for sale

I have a scout 800 for sale with the axles you need. it has the amc 6-cyl engine. the body is very rough. will take $500 for it. located in VA. 540-461-0230 if interested

jon,can you send me some pics of yur 800? thx-jeff.limaohio@gmail.com whats the gear ratio's?
    Last edited by jeff campbell; 04-10-2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: add