Thread: Lock-O-Matic hub installation

Default Lock-O-Matic hub installation

I can't figure out how to get the drag shoes to fit back over the drag nut on my 1979 Scout II Lock-O-Matics. Anyone know the trick to do this?
    Thanks, Christian

---Try twisting while installing and did you install the Drag Shoe Nut so the ramped portion is to the outside? Are you sure they're not mix-matched parts? I know one has a larger OD than the other, think it's the Lock-O-Matic Drag Shoe Nut, but I could be mistaken. Search the BinderPlanet for the thread with title Lock-O-Matic* vs Automatic* hubs and ask if that piece of information hasn't been given yet. If they weren't your hubs to begin with, make sure someone didn't just install Lock-O-Matic dials on Automatics. That would cause a problem if the OD of the nut is as I believe it is.

---No Service Manual? I suggest you invest in one or a set, depending on your year. They'll pay for themselves quickly and NEVER go by the Chilton misprint bible/manual when pertaining to Lock-O-Matics, you'll destroy them very quickly if you do. BTDT.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed

The ramped side is on the outside, I just pulled the drag nut off again to make sure. It's just a bit rounded, but the othere side has no ramp at all.

I pulled to hubs off in order to pull my rotors to have them turned. I cleaned and lubed the hub assemblies making sure to even keep the two sides separate so I don't mix up parts. All went well until I tried to put the hubs back on and I just can't get the drag shoes to go back over the drag nut. I read on an old BB/BP thread that you can assemble the hubs and torq the six bolts slowly and it will pop into place, this worked for me on the passenger side but on the driver side where I broke the thrust washer that holds the roller cage in the hub body. Finally got a new thrust washer but I don't want to try that again.

I do have the service manual Volume 2 that came with the truck, but not Volume 1 which must cover the hubs.

Thanks, Christian