Thread: Scout 800a tailgate not lining up

Default Scout 800a tailgate not lining up

I have a Scout 800A that I recently got. I put the tailgate on today. After I put it on and closed it I notice that the gap on one side is bigger than the other side. The bottom seems to be the same gap as on the other side but towards the top, it widens to about an inch difference. It looks terrible. Honestly, I was surprised because the tub is in great shape, with just a bit of surface rust.

I am hoping that I can pull the back top and bend to were the gap is the same but I wanted to check if anyone dealt with this issue or just cut my loses and part the thing out and look for a better rig. Any advice would be appreciate.

Thanks.

This may or may not be related. I almost bought an 800 a few years ago. But looking at the body none of the door gaps were right and the tail gate had a similar issue. At one point it had a body lift and suspension lift that went wrong. When I looked at it the mounts were wrecked and the body had just twisted. Just an idea.

I think you are correct. I have been measuring and it appears that someone was lifting this rig and didn't finish all sides. Actually I think the PO just lifted the front of the passenger side, the back passenger side corner is the one that I am having issues with. The shackle on that side is an inch or so longer than the original and that is about the size of the gap. And the wheels are not the same size to boot.

Speaking of which, I want to order some 1" inch longer than stock shackles for this thing ( '70 800A ). Where is a good place to get such a thing? Would that be 5" from eye to eye? I have no idea if any of these are original and at least one was made by the PO, so I want to get 4 known good ones. It has a swapped in 345 in it, so it appears +1" shackles will help with clearance for the oil pan.

Thank you. You may have just saved this poor thing some torture from a wenching system I was devising to twist the body