Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scouts used for military service?

Default Scouts used for military service?

Hi all, this is my first post. I have never owned a scout, or anything IH for that matter, cant wait to start tearing into my new project a 63 scout 80.
    My first question is this. Has anyone here owned or know of scout 80's used for military service? I ask because our new scout has a tag riveted to the dash that looks just like the ones in the 1/4 tons, dueces, and Hummers I used to drive when I was in the service. Is this a rare or common thing? It is one of the things that piqued my interest, and sold me on this truck.
    Looking forward to getting to know everyone here, and tapping into your knowledge of scouts, I will surely need it to get this old thing back on the road.
    Dan

Sorry I can't help a whole lot. Mine is an 80 and was a military scout. I don't think the military had many since the jeep of the day got most of the contracts. Right now I am in the process of having it painted. Sanding it down there are all kinds of stencils for the motor pool instructions under the hood. I wrote down all the unit markings and will look them up when I get some free time. One good thing it seems the military required power-lok front and rear so as long as you have the stock axles you have ample traction when going off road.
    Welcome and good luck with your new toy.

In a 63 scout, you will not find anything in the drivetrain that was unusual. The differences will all be in the accessories.

The US military ordered scouts, pickups, and travelalls from IH on a regular basis. The pickup and travelall contract extended past the end of production in 1975, so there are some 76 pickups and travelalls, all of them military. They just held back enough to fulfill the contract.

Scout 80s were used by the marine corps, and probably were used by the air force, navy, and army.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Bugflipper and Allen E. thanks for the replies. I'll look for all the telltale signs when I'm pressure washing the grease off the engine and compartment this weekend. I noticed paint peeling off the door panels when I inspected it prior to buying, and saw some military stenciling under the current paint.

Like I said, can't wait to pick up this truck and start work on it. Any sage advice on where to start, other than the internet research I'm doing now?

Bugflipper and Alan E. Thanks for the replies. I tried to post a reply last night, but it didn't work. I noticed some military stenciling under some peeling paint on the door panels. I'll also look for some telltale signs as I pressure wash the grease and grime from under the hood.

Any sage advice on where to get started?

---Most likely with a VIN check. You'd think it would tell the tale when you get back to who originally purchased it.

---AFAIK they were allē olive drab and officers' vehicles. Haven't heard any other stories to show otherwise, though I would think the AF would more prefer Corsair Blue or Black... LOL.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed

Hah... the Air Force wouldn't DARE let it's officers run around in anything less than a Cadillac. They're too fragile for a Scout. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
    Hah... the Air Force wouldn't DARE let it's officers run around in anything less than a Cadillac. They're too fragile for a Scout. Lol.
    -Joke understood, accepted & filed.

---However, a SSgt who's retired, yet active (LOL, love how that works), working toward TSgt, under contract & drove an issued Ford Taurus for the past 10 years prior to being issued a Mercury Mountaneer... would make me shrug my shoulders more than seeing a CMSgt being driven around in a Scout II even... LOL; But one would have to eliminate all the squeaks & rattles first I'm sure.
    Last edited by Thomas; 10-28-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Removed the goofy "Sticking Out Tongue" smiley
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

=StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

=unnamed

=unnamed

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    -Joke understood, accepted & filed.

---However, a SSgt who's retired, yet active (LOL, love how that works), working toward TSgt, under contract & drove an issued Ford Taurus for the past 10 years prior to being issued a Mercury Mountaneer... would make me shrug my shoulders more than seeing a CMSgt being driven around in a Scout II even... LOL; But one would have to eliminate all the squeaks & rattles first I'm sure.
    Hah... well, I guess the lower ranking you are in the Air Force, the more sarcastic you're likely to be, and the higher ranking you are, the more jaded. I'm only a SrA.

A good place to start IMHO is to just act like every PO abused the heck out of it and never maintained it. Change all fluids; engine, trans, transfer, axles, radiator and clutch/brake fluid if not clear. Inspect brakes.Repack wheel bearings. Drivers side lug nuts are most likely left hand threads. A full tune up if it doesn't look like it's been done recently. Fuel filter. Lube all zirts underneath. Make sure the steering knuckles are full of grease. Buy a service manual from binder books. I would make little quick trips near the house and extend them a little at a time to make sure the carb isn't acting up. If it sputters gas out the vent above the bowl or doesn't want to start as soon as it is turned off after a ride it needs attention. Definitely get the service manual on the way as soon as you can.
    Good Luck