Thread: New to site with questions

Default New to site with questions

Hi all,

I am new to the site and looking to learn more about the Scout before purchasing one. I do know that I want a 60ís model, but not sure which one would suit me best and im hoping to get some input. Also I am not new to wheeling or 4x4ís, but most of my trucks have been newer. Iíve always liked the scout and wanted to build one and now I have to space to do so.

This rig will be most for heavy wheeling, but also would be nice to cruise around with the wife on Sundays so-to-speak. My goal is to buy an old Scout that needs work. I would like if the finished product would be sitting on 37ís with a link/ coil-over set-up. Would still be happy to keep it sprung, but hey we all have dreams lol.

Qís:

How hard is it to swap to a centered differential rear axle? And are 1 tons (F/B) over kill for this rig? Could I get away with D44ís?

Has anyone done a 4BT, or LS motor swap? If so which produces the best results?

For the 60ís model Scout, is an axle over the only means for lifting the rig?

If anyoneís Scout resembles what im looking to accomplish could you please post pictures? Iíll have more question as time goes on, but this is good for now.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long winded first post,

David

I would think D44 front and rear would be all you need. If you really wanted to impress people you could go D60 or gm14 bolt but then you lose your 5 lug bolt pattern. Think about a new drivetrain completely, cause if you want to change out axles and an engine, it would be easier to change everything in between as well.

you mean spring over lift? I think that's the best way but you could do a shackle lift or put more arch in the springs.

There will be lots of fab work, especially if you want 37's, but the rig will turn out pretty BA if you do it right. I have a scout II that I wheel with, it's already got the good stuff on it, but I have a '63 in the drive that I would like to tear into some day.

do some searches on youtube and you will find some examples of scouts.
    Last edited by scoutguy66; 10-27-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: I screwed up ok, geez!

If you're going to do hardcore wheeling, go with some Dana 60's with disc brakes on all 4. The Dana 44's will start breaking too often with much over 33's when you start the trails. A good place for you lurk is Pirate 4x4, but be warned...SEARCH before you post there otherwise you'll get shit all day long.
    Welcome to the addiction that scouts are.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

---That really chaps my hide.

-If you wanted to really impress someone...

. . . ... which I have no idea what that means in the world of IH, cause if they're not impressed they either really don't care, blind, stupid or never will be impressed by anything...

. . . ... Take a couple IH 2.5 - 5Ton axles or old School Bus axles and slap em under yer Scout. Axle Surgeons will cut and weld up the hubs for you, just need to have them shorten your axle stubs or someone else.

Stop thinkin' with your dipstick...

. . . ... Jimmy

-Sorry ,

---The D44 is very stout, but if you really want to upgrade, go with trusses, the weak point is the wall thickness.

---You could go overkill by finding a Dodge 2500 OR from 2001 that was lucky enough to get military option axles of D60F and D80R and sport a monster that comes with 4:88s.

---As for the LS, pshyeah...

. . . ... plenty have done dumber things. The 6000# Scout is not a Camaro or a Vette, The power gains are nothing to brag about nor is the economy. Cost efficiency for the swap has yet to prove to me and other intelligent members in the community that it is worth ripping the IH heart from your IH. Mileage is also no gain that could make one jump up and down like a 7yr old kid who just won the Grand Prize Game, trip to Disney and lifetime supply of Bug Juice all at once.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed

Thanks all for your input. Yes I visit Pirate IH8mud, and a few others. Iíve been lurking on here for a while and decided to take the plunge. I like what this site has to offer. Like I said I finally have the space to build a project and will do most if not all the fab work myself. As fas as axles and such I have some good friends in that industry to help me out.

I found the 4BT motor Scout on Youtube, which is what drew me to this option. Iím not partial to the LS motor, but just want something a little different than the normal. Im sure the die hard IH group frowns on what I am going to do, but its my dollar going into it and not theirs. With that said ive been keeping an eye out on Ebay for cheaper scouts to purchase. I was surprised that I could find them for $500 +/- in resto condition which is what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    If you're going to do hardcore wheeling, go with some Dana 60's with disc brakes on all 4. The Dana 44's will start breaking too often with much over 33's when you start the trails. A good place for you lurk is Pirate 4x4, but be warned...SEARCH before you post there otherwise you'll get shit all day long.
    Welcome to the addiction that scouts are.
    What kind of trails are you talking about? I plan on putting a 4in lift and 33's on mine and I have a Dana30 on the front.

I don't plan on off-roading it, just to take out into the mountains for camping, hunting, etc.

Rascus,
    The trails that I was talking about are things like King of the Hammers, Deep mudholes that you want bigger than 33's, Moab and other trails where you will have waterfall climbs and such as that.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

We have paragon, Rausch Creek and a few other parks around my way that ill be visiting once I get the build complete. Would love to travel out to Moab one day.

Thomas, you said I’d have to cut the axles, but im pretty sure the Scout is no wider than my 02’ Tundra. The reason I bring this up is I originally was going to SAS my Tundra, but did decided I did not want to spend that kind of money, plus ill just use it for a tow rig.

I also decided on the 4bt Cummins motor swap, they seem to be fairly cheap and grenade proof.

Thomas I don't think you read me right. What I meant by "if you really want to impress people" is that 44's would probably suffice for strength and fit the application nicely unless your soul purpose is for people ooing and awing over the size of your axles, then you want something bigger.

I would have suggested some portals or 2.5 ton rockwells but rigs built for the hammers are usually trailer queens. I read this would be a sunday driver with the wife as well.

All this LS motor talk is getting the purists fired up and I will probably catch hell for cheering you on ironman, but I don't care. I have a sb chev waiting to go in the terra. One thing I can say is the 350 sits there because I can't get the IH 304 to die. That heavy sob won't kick the bucket. That's a compliment to IH.