Thread: Cowl Vent Leaking

Default Cowl Vent Leaking

Hi All,
    I have a 78 Terra, 304 V8, 4WD, power and air. My problem is my cowl vent seems to be leaking, the right floorboard usually has standing water after a big rain. It's not the heater core etc. All that has been replaced. Can anyone give me a fix on this and what I will have to remove to get to it? Thanks, Ron

---Someone surely will be around to help soon, but I will give you some "IIRC" since my manuals are put up and out of reach again.

---Is it leaking by the door, in the center or by the transmission tunnel/hump?

---The Drip Pan should be right under the cowl. Removal of the two or three aft-most fender bolts, the screws holding the washer lines, the screws that secure the deck and pulling the deck out, should give you access and view of the corners. Temporary repair may be the only way until you can get to removal of the windshield frame. Mastik roof sealer might work for now as long as the body is dried well and you don't run out of it because you got more on you than the truck. Remember, that's "temporary" and would not* be DOT approved.

---Put some tissue above the dash by the windshield seal so you can see if it's not leaking from that area. The windshield seal should have a primer/paint layer to help it "seal" and that might be broken, causing water to flow along the seam, down the dash frame and drip through and un-used bolt hole that holds the lower dash to the frame.

---Between the windshield pillar-to-wing/smoking window seal and Terratop-to-door seal, there should be a piece of foam tubing just as well as the seal between the Terratop and body-to-door seal has. Capisci? The tubing fits inside the round portion of the sealing lip, and joins two seals together so there isn't a gap. Check along the doors also, could be running down the seals to the inside.

---I had a nasty drip on my driver side. Does your parking brake work or is it rusted/frozen? Mine dripped right on my foot. If yours is like mine was, it could be dripping and hitting the dash frame, running down to the passenger side, etc..

---K, imagine the PO before me/you tried forcing the parking brake instead of lubing it, when it got stiff. Years/Decades of this action weakened the sheet metal, until one day he tried standing on the brake pedal... and it tore the sheet metal. Yep, I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this. One would think the brake pedal arm would bent or the fasteners would have snapped. The hole went straight through to the gutter that joins to the drip pan.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed

Thumbs up Cowl Vent Leaking

Thanks Thomas,
    Mine is leaking off the bottom of the heater/blower assembly, middle of the passenger floorboard. I'm guessing for now it's the drip pan leaking some way.
    Since it is raining here in NE Texas about 5 out of 7 days a week, I'm going to cover the cowl vent for a few days to see if it stops it. Then I will try and dig into it. Thanks for your reply!

Thumbs up Cowl Vent leak

Thanks Thomas,
    I took the panel off you mentioned, just in front of the drip pan. I removed about 1/2 gallon of sludge, dirt, leaves, and pine needles from the corners of both passenger and driver side, then cleaned the whole mess. I imagine the gunk on the passenger side was acting as a sponge and causing the drip, not allowing it to drain properly. I shot the water hose to it a variety of different angles, and only got a few drops inside. I hope this will take care of it. The seals in the corners were good. My parking brake has some rust, but functions properly, never had a problem on that side. I might post some photos soon. Thanks again,