Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: selling rebuilt 304 motor

Question selling rebuilt 304 motor

i bought what was 2 be a 366 motor to find out it was a 304 international motor . i was told to go to this site to get info on the motor to sell it. The motor is a fresh rebuild there is right at 1,100 in this rebuild from the reciets that i was showed on the motor build if any one can give me info on what year this motor cam out or where to look need help to find more info on the year

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    i bought what was 2 be a 366 motor to find out it was a 304 international motor . i was told to go to this site to get info on the motor to sell it. The motor is a fresh rebuild there is right at 1,100 in this rebuild from the reciets that i was showed on the motor build if any one can give me info on what year this motor cam out or where to look need help to find more info on the year
    There is a "for sale section."

It helps to put your location on the ad when you post it.

The 304 was used in scouts, pickups, travelalls, school busses, dump trucks, fire trucks, and all sorts of things for 25 years. It is an industrial grade engine, as you can see by the size. Not made for spinning up fast, but they last a long time for a 60s-80s carb'd engine.

It helps to know what kind of vehicle it was in and what all is not included. 1100 miles had to be in something. It doesn't matter, really, as long as it's a good engine, but the oil pans and oil pumps are different from the various vehicles, as are the engine mounts and other minor things, like carbs, distributor configuration, etc.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I c so what do i do to find out on the make and year of the motor. A freind bought the motor not knowing that is a 3o4 he thought it was a 366. The motor i have is a fresh build there is 1,100 dolars worht of work done to it from turn crank up to the redone heads .thank you any info on this would be great to here becuase it going to 2 sit and ruin before i have a use for the motor and i would rather see some on find a use for it and have what they want

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    I c so what do i do to find out on the make and year of the motor. A freind bought the motor not knowing that is a 3o4 he thought it was a 366. The motor i have is a fresh build there is 1,100 dolars worht of work done to it from turn crank up to the redone heads .thank you any info on this would be great to here becuase it going to 2 sit and ruin before i have a use for the motor and i would rather see some on find a use for it and have what they want
    It doesn't matter what the year of the motor is. If the crank had to be turned, chances are the engine needed a lot of work, because the 304 came from the factory with a steel crank, not cast iron like a small block chevy. Regardless, that's a hard, heavy duty engine..

A 304 international is a 304 international. They all interchange. They were made by International Harvester for use in International Harvester vehicles. They were used in Scouts, Pickups, Travelalls, and medium duty trucks.

On the right side of the engine, there is a raised pad, just above the fuel pump. It's about 3/8" tall and 2" long. It has the engine size and serial number on it. Post the number and somebody can probably figure out the year, but I'm telling you, if you want to sell the engine, "rebuilt 304 with 1100 miles on it" is all the information anybody needs. Whatever oil pan or distributor or whatever you have in it doesn't really change anything, because those get moved around all the time. I have a 304 in my 1960 fire truck which weighs 18,000 lbs. I also have one in a scout, and one in a pickup truck, and one in a travelall.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

how much do you want for it and where is it?
    Black Smoke Customs is now open in Rock Island, Tennessee. We are addicted to International's and Cummins B series motors. The only thing we don't do is paint and body,,,yet.
    We support ASE Certification.

Default Hard to read posting.

Jason;
    I would be more inclined to read your whole post rather than just glance at it if you would put more time into it and use better spelling and punctuation. Guess I'm just old-fashioned like my Scout.

Im in West Plains Missouri. I spent $500.00 on the motor I would like what I paid for the motor back, or trade for a Well built chevy small block.I can take pictures of the motor if liked.Just let me know what else u need.

Thank You for the Remark. I redone my ad thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Strong View Post
    Jason;
    I would be more inclined to read your whole post rather than just glance at it if you would put more time into it and use better spelling and punctuation. Guess I'm just old-fashioned like my Scout.

What is the point?

The title is 'selling a rebuilt 304 motor' and I had no problem following the content.

Being old fashioned myself I would have used the PM function if I found the posts too confusing ....

The point is that this is a public forum, not a PM between friends, and using complete sentences with reasonable punctuation, and whole words rather than "u" makes it much clearer, much easier to read, much better to understand. Not using a bit of care or proof reading leads to errors like: "what was 2 be a 366 motor ". Did he mean a 266 or really mean a 366, which doesn't exist in the IH line? Is "2 be" that much shorter than "to be", and therefore 'necessary' for some unknown reason?
    Communication depends on standard definitions and rules of grammar; without standards, speech has no definite meaning. Try enforcing a badly worded contract in court, and see how far you get.