Thread: Carb Issue

Default Carb Issue

I have the 258 I6, and I noticed a new leak today. It seems to have a slow leak in the body of the carb where the throttle linkage goes through. My question is this: Can I make a temporary fix by using gasket seal or some sort of silicone around this? And my next question is this: Anyone have one of these damn little basterds cheap? I would go to the 2 barrel but I cant afford that right now since I'm getting ready to move and I need all the spare cash possible. Thanks guys.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

---Sounds to me like you need a minimum of a Base Plate/Carb Mounting Gasket and a Main Body Gasket. No, RTV/Silicon will not seal where gas is and sucking it into the carb could cause you more, costly, yet minor problems. Can't imagine major problems being a factor but you never know with Murphy's law.

---Use the link I gave in the other thread on carburetors, contact Holley and ask them for the part numbers of the Main Body and Base Plate Gaskets, which are included in that kit and then you can shop around, including eBay, for the correct gaskets. You might need the List Number off that carb so jot that info down, just as it looks on the carburetor... though I think Y/M/M and Holley 1940 (or you said yours was a 1920 right?) would be enough info.

---Stay away from Mileage Plus, NAPA, etc., gaskets as they are not* the same. If you wish to eliminate problems with your Holley, stick with only* Holley Genuine Parts.

---It is possible that the fuel is leaking down the Throat and onto the Throttle Shaft, but is rarely the case that the shaft bore needs Repair Bushings.
    Last edited by Thomas; 10-29-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed

It's not leaking at the base of the carb or at the gasket there. I wiped everything down and watched it start a slow leak at the bushing. I've never replaced/repaired one of those before...how do you go about it?

Edit:
    I also got to thinking, it never did this until I replaced the entire fuel line coming from the tank. It is now 5/16" flexible hose with an electric pump sitting on the frame.
    Could the pump be running too much fuel line pressure for the carb and cause this to happen?
    Last edited by okkool77; 10-29-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

-Okay,

---Too much pressure could push fuel past the Needle & Seat and cause it to puddle on the Throttle Shaft. There was one other reason why fuel would come off the shaft, other than shaft wear, but it escapes me as to what that was.

---Why I addressed the shaft wear, I moved away from that first because it's seldom the problem when there is a leak there. You said bushings... so maybe someone reamed the body and installed bushings? I don't recall them having bushings on the ones I've seen, nor have I had one apart myself. An Exploded View
    (Click for larger image)
    would help as would a thread specifically on that animal. I hope that helps you and please report back to the thread with your findings. Maybe you'll jar my memory as to what that other reason was, before I remember myself.
    Last edited by Thomas; 10-29-2009 at 07:45 PM.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

=StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

=unnamed

=unnamed