Thread: need steering colunm for 79 scout 2

Default need steering colunm for 79 scout 2

i have a 1979 scout two it has a spring over lift and also a locker in the back the striped out the threads that hold the steering wheel down, i need to know where i can get a steering colunm from or atleast the parts to fix it a whole new one would be nice but i dont think the wife would be to happy nothing she could do though if i orderd it while on deployment hehehe

The scout steering column is the same as a camaro or vega from the same year. The D series travelall is a bit longer, but many of the parts are the same.

They aren't that hard to find stateside, still some around. When you get home you will be able to find one. On the west coast, there are a few folks that have them. In the east, I don't know, but I would think so. Also a few in between.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

will the camaro or vega columns just bolt in or will i have to make modifications

bump......... anyone ? looking to do the same,any info would be helpfull !!!!
    1980, 1974,1975 scouts

The camaro and vega are the same, but if you have a body lift, some changes are needed. Suspension lifts I don't think are an issue unless you move the steering box.

Scout steering columns are not that hard to find. It's not a difficult job. Can't help you on where to order it, but I suggest you could buy one from Coonrod's in Grant, CO.

When you get home, the last thing on your mind will be a steering column installation. When the time comes, it won't be that hard to get done. Hook up with local Scout folks. They will help you find one. I have one in AZ that I can get rid of, but if you live on the east coast, it would be kind of silly to ship it that far. There are local parts still available.
    Last edited by Allan E.; 02-01-2010 at 05:22 AM.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak