Thread: I think I screwed somethings up, just don't know what

Unhappy I think I screwed somethings up, just don't know what

So, I towed our '78 scout to a mechanic because the fuel pump went out. We hooked the scout to the back of my truck, locked the steering wheel (as the previous owner had told me to do when towing the scout), placed the scout in neutral and drove to the mechanic's. Everything went fine until I went to make a really tight turn, forgetting the scout's steering wheel was locked straight. We heard some grinding sounds, along with seeing the tires start to disappear during the turn. So, fast forward: the fuel pump has successfully been replaced, however, when we started the scout, it "jumped" like it was in gear. We were able to run her down the highway to home, however, the steering felt like it was really "loose" as if there's a loss of control when driving her. And now today, she doesn't start at all. We checked the battery, and since we just put in a new starter in August, I just don't think it's that either, but possibly the Neutral Safety Switch? I just don't know, and am really a newbie at this kind of stuff. What other kind of things could I have damaged when towing her with the steering wheel locked? (Sorry for the long story - I just wanted to post everything that happened)

There's a chance that you could have snapped off a few pieces of your spider gear / rack and pinion in your front differential. Open up the front diff and see if there's anything unusual (i.e. broken parts falling out or obviously broken pieces). Also, your steering gear might be broken now too inside the steering box. Either that or your rag joint, because that's the weak link on the steering column.

As far as not starting... not turning over at all? Or just refusing to fire up? What kind of transmission do you have?

I was gonna say rag joint or steering gears as well.. That sounds like the culprit, and i would think that would be the weakest location of the steering system as well.

I had a r+P blow up on my jeep about 6 months ago, (just a couple pinion / ring teeth gone not a big deal, still runs just fine haha (spider gears are rounded on the ends as well) makes for a nice DEPENDABLE ride lol...

really i just don't wanna waste the money on new Dana 35 gears.. cause i have a ford 8.8 axle brand new with disc brakes im swapping in there soon... once i finish my scout resto that is haha one thing at a time.
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

With the wheel locked, and if the wheels turned without breaking anything in the drive train, you could have snapped off some things in the column.

Does rotating key do anything? (power up the lights, etc...)

I'd first ensure that the Scout is on level ground, with all of the essential drive train / steering components fixed / operable, then block the wheels, and then start determining what went wrong in the column. You could have a bad start switch or broken wires from the NSS (neutral switch) which will create the no start situation.

Since you stated you have an NSS, that means you have an automatic. Ensure your linkage between the shifter and tranny is still in good working order; if it "jumped" like it was in gear, you could in need of adjustment, it may have worked itself loose over the years causing your NSS to not be getting the correct signal. Also try starting in neutral, not just park; that will help determine switch capacity. Don't rely on the shift indicator, feel for the shift & count the clicks.

HTH

Bill

Thanks! I will check out all of your recommendations and let you know.

it is not the safest way to start it but it will tell you it its just a bad switch if you cross over your starter solenoid just be careful when doing it