Thread: removing the hard top

Default removing the hard top

Before I start I though I'd ask how does the hard top come off a 79 scout? Screws on the inside and lift off? I am restoring and want to paint and line the inside. Getting the motor 345 bored and new crank, heads worked, rings oil pump etc. Got the manual... It suggest when assembling to put everything back on motor before putting in vehicle. I removed it with the bell housing attatched...Should I put it back in same way? $1600 for heads block bored pistons rings crank gaskets and all that....sound ok or high?

Hard top is easy too remove, just take out all the bolts on the sides that go into the bed walls or whatever u call them. Also i believe there are some that attach it to the front at the windshield. maybe 4 or 6 of them? i cant remember my hardtop is off at the moment (and it wasn't even attached in the front when i got it) hahahah but i could see there were holes that looked like they were meant for it
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

1600 is a a good price. the same work here would be around 1800-2000 depending on exact specs.

there are 4 or 5 bolts per side and there are 4 phillips screws for the front and it is not that heavy 3 people can take it off with on problem.

---Yep, 10 bolts, 4 screws. When you reinstall, make sure you start threading the screws backward until you hear/feel the click of the first thread. All it will take is one cross-thread to damage the sheet metal, as the screws are self-tapping... Or you could replace the screws now with some cap screws rather than going through the pain of having screws fall out while your driving cause there's no thread left... lol.

---As long as your mechanic knows what he's doing with IH I say it's a fine price. As for installation, I always found it easier to pull an engine with the trans connected and install the same way. The trans is a nice counterbalance to tilt the engine back, slip the floor jack under the tailshaft and pull it back while sliding the engine forward.

---It's not like an IH engine is hard to fit in an IH, relatively simple, lots of room, but automatics transmissions can be easily damaged if everything's not correctly lined up when you mate them. Would suck to have to drop the trans by itself to install a new pump... especially since the transfer case is mated and makin it cobble-wobbly on any jack.

---I have no idea what shape the body is in, so you might want to take a piece of 2x2 and C-Clamp it to each end on the end caps. Mark the 2x2 with a sharpee, lettin ya know where the body starts. Then after you lift the top off, the sides won't bow out on you, leaving you here later, asking what the distance is between the end caps... LOL. If it is bad and the sides do bow out, all you have to do is C-clamp it prior to installing the Traveltop, lining up your lines on the wood, and bolt the top back down without having to have someone outside pushing your quarter panel in for you... LOL. Just taking into consideration that it's gettin colder out and you might not be ready for body work, so you'll need to get the top on quickly when the temperature drops 30, not to return for 4-5 months. In 2008 I ran two months of the Winter without my top... WOOOO WHOOO what a cold ride in the morning! Sunvisors up to deflect wind and leaning forward to greet the heat! Covered it with pre-fitted 12mil plastic when I got to work, uncovered it to drive home and covered it when I got home.
    Last edited by Thomas; 11-02-2009 at 08:48 AM.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed

Lightbulb dont forget the interior light

My top has an interior light in the back that I have to disconnect before i take the top off. otherwise you have your people lifting the top off and getting yanked back by the wire if you forgot!