Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost 4WD...

Question Lost 4WD...

Guys, I made a couple of posts about not having 4WD a month or so ago and I appreciate all your thoughts. What I found was that I didnít have 4WD ďautomatically ď by shifting into 4WD inside. I had to also manually lock the lock-o-matic hubs as they stopped operating automatically.

That was okÖ for now I could manually lock them and clean them out later and find why the automatic function wasnít working. And that worked fine for a couple of weeks, but this weekend something went wrong. The hubs were locked and the transfer case was in 4low and the Scout taking me through some rough stuff and up slick hills just fineÖ then something started making a ďclunking ď noise. It reminded me of how a CV joint sounds when its going bad in a front wheel drive car.

I unlocked the hubs, put the case in 2HI and the noise stopped. All seemed ok normal for 2WD. Later I tried going back to 4WD by locking the hubs and putting the transfer in 4LO. The noise was gone and I thought all was ok and I headed back into some slick ground and then discovered that there is no 4WD anymore. No noise now, but the front is not pulling.

I guess Iím gonna jack up the front, put the transfer in Neutral and experiment with the lock-o-matics. If they are locking the front wheels to the axel then spinning the wheel will make the front driveshaft then turnÖ right?

Do any of you have any ideas about what my problem is or how to figure it out?
    Thanks. Iíve really gotten attached to the old Scout. Iíve got it running good and itís a lot of fun to creep around where Iíve been going.

Thanks

I suggest you read this, as far as i know, if u have locking hubs you do NOT have an automatic 4wd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_hubs

I have a jeep, u put it in 4wd and u go... but with my scout (and all scouts) you have to put on the locking hubs. And your NEVER supposed to keep them engaged when not in 4wd and u should never go in 4wd with them unlocked, im pretty sure.

Another thing some people do (i plan on it eventually) is to dual stick the transfer case, giving you control of both difs individually.
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Default 4LO with Lock-o-matic hubs unlocked

I agree that its unwise and maybe dumb to have the hubs locked without the transfer case being in 4WD... but there is a factory applied sticker on the inside of my glovebox lid stating that "for most 4WD operation you don't need to lock the hubs". It goes on to say that the main purpose of the locks is for "breaking control when decending steep grades"

That was the what was revolutionary and the purpose of lock-o-matics... right... ability to access 4WD without getting out. ( not a big deal to me ) My initial problem was that automatic function stopped functioning.. Accessing 4WD began requiring both.. . 1. case in 4 2 Hubs locked

Now, no 4 at all. No noise but no 4. It may all be releated. The truck has not been driven much at all the past 5 years.

first off what year of Scout? it could be several things hubs need cleaning, something is busted inside your hubs or it could be bad clutches in front axle

Default My old Scout

Mine is a 74 with the 304. That was the first year to automatically include disc breaks I think. Glad it has those but something there isn't quiet right... it feels like the front isn't doing the job well and the back is dong more than its fair share... but it also feels like thats getting better and better on it's own. It sat a long time.

I want to figure out what axel is under the front too. The Dana 30 was standard in 74 I think and and the 44. was optional. I found a site with pics and it looks more like the 44. Its a massive looking thing,

Its running pretty good ( very slight skip.. sometime a bit of hesitation )with just new points and plugs. Well 7 new plugs.. one I havent been able to get a grip on yet. I'll get it. And its rusted through the body in a couple of spots on the lower part of the body. If I get this worked out I'll figure out what to do about all that.

Thanks for any thoughts

it could be that the front disc's are grabbing too. take it for a trip around the pasture then feel if the front disc's are hotter than they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by sdowiat View Post

I want to figure out what axel is under the front too. The Dana 30 was standard in 74 I think and and the 44. was optional. I found a site with pics and it looks more like the 44. Its a massive looking thing,
    Not necessarily optional; it was the year they changed to dana 44's and so they used up all their old parts putting everything together to get rid of the 30's and drum brakes. The visual difference is pretty noticeable. You will have the 44 rear, so you can just measure them both out to see if they match sizes, or there's casting numbers on them that will tell you if you can read through 35 years worth of grease and grime.

the casting number is on the drivers side but like said before 30 sum years of dirt and grime will hide it

Get a service manual from binder books. I would try to help you on the auto hubs, which I do not have, but my book is at my father's house. It has clear pictures and instructions on your hubs and most other things on your rig.

Quote Originally Posted by sdowiat View Post
    Mine is a 74 with the 304. That was the first year to automatically include disc breaks I think. Glad it has those but something there isn't quiet right... it feels like the front isn't doing the job well and the back is dong more than its fair share... but it also feels like thats getting better and better on it's own. It sat a long time.

Its running pretty good ( very slight skip.. sometime a bit of hesitation )with just new points and plugs. Well 7 new plugs.. one I havent been able to get a grip on yet. I'll get it. And its rusted through the body in a couple of spots on the lower part of the body. If I get this worked out I'll figure out what to do about all that.

Thanks for any thoughts
    Pretty sure if its a Scout II and has disc brakes its a 44 not a 30.