Thread: Scout 80 V8 upgrade?????

Default Scout 80 V8 upgrade?????

I've tried searching the database for this one question. Can you put a 345 in a S-80 without butchering the firewall??? And, can yo leave the steering shaft in place????

A repower for the S-80's seems like a simple job but, the footwell offset for the drivers side does'nt leave much room for the left bank of cylinders or an exhaust manifold. I would love to hear from someone who has done this upgrade so I can put this project to bed or, start the tear down of the donor SII.

TIA
    Colin H.
    Grottoes, Va.

No.

The steering column has to be routed around the engine, the firewall has to be modified (like destroyed). I've seen it done. One of the guys in the Sonora Desert Scouts did it several years ago just because somebody told him he couldn't. There was a whole lot of chopping done to the inner fenders, and he used a "wraparound" design for the steering. Pretty interesting, actually.

Even a small V6, like from a ford or a chevy, is a lot of work. Using something like that with an automatic allows you to move the engine (and radiator) forward a bit, but you still have to deal with the steering column.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks Allen. I was hoping to pull this off but I guess we'll just part out the SII. It's a 1978 345 V8 w/ the auto trans. It's a two wheel drive too!!!
    Colin H.
    Grottoes, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchead View Post
    Thanks Allen. I was hoping to pull this off but I guess we'll just part out the SII. It's a 1978 345 V8 w/ the auto trans. It's a two wheel drive too!!!
    There are a whole lot of IH folks in your area. Try Old Dominion Binders.
    Allan E.

Default 345 in a scout 80

I own a 1965 scout 80 with a 345 v8 in it and yes the firewall was modified but it doesn't really look that extreme of a modification or disgustingly chopped. you can tell it was pushed back and thats about it. It also has the factory steering shaft which wasn't snaked around anything. it tracked staight and drove fine last time I drove it. the radiator is still in stock location as well and a fourth core was added. a custom accelerator pedal was fabbed up and a hole on the passenger side was cut for access to the sparkplug closest to the firewall. I live in Pocatello Idaho and found this scout in a farm field. To my surprise when I poped the hood, the other half was there. the body was extremely solid for a 65 and it ran. for $300 I had to buy the v8 scout 80. I put a 14 bolt in the rear and still have to do the front which is why I havn't driven it in a while. The nice thing about the 345 is I can easily bolt up power steering. then Ill have to change the column and get a Iditit telescoping steering shaft and obviously mount the powersteering gearbox from a scout II in the right spot. but in any case, it has been done keeping that stock long steering shaft and it drove just fine.:

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    I own a 1965 scout 80 with a 345 v8 in it and yes the firewall was modified but it doesn't really look that extreme of a modification or disgustingly chopped. you can tell it was pushed back and thats about it. It also has the factory steering shaft which wasn't snaked around anything. it tracked staight and drove fine last time I drove it. the radiator is still in stock location as well and a fourth core was added. a custom accelerator pedal was fabbed up and a hole on the passenger side was cut for access to the sparkplug closest to the firewall. I live in Pocatello Idaho and found this scout in a farm field. To my surprise when I poped the hood, the other half was there. the body was extremely solid for a 65 and it ran. for $300 I had to buy the v8 scout 80. I put a 14 bolt in the rear and still have to do the front which is why I havn't driven it in a while. The nice thing about the 345 is I can easily bolt up power steering. then Ill have to change the column and get a Iditit telescoping steering shaft and obviously mount the powersteering gearbox from a scout II in the right spot. but in any case, it has been done keeping that stock long steering shaft and it drove just fine.:
    Ok, if I am hearing you right, you have a Scout 80 with a 345 V8 in it and the only modification was to the firewall? The radiator and it's support was not moved forward? And, the steering column was not modified either? That's interesting. Conflicting accounts from two different binder forums. I'm interested now.......would you be willing to take some pics of the areas you mentioned and email them to me???? N4ZFQ@yahoo.com

thanks.......

Colin
    Colin H.
    Grottoes, Va.

i have a 266 v8 out a scout 800a its in parts but all there was going to cost to much to rebuild it ran fin just smoked thinking stuck valve would be interested in letting it go
    ---LESS WEIGHT= LESS BROKEN PARTS---

also i have a 345 in my 800a with no mods to firewall
    ---LESS WEIGHT= LESS BROKEN PARTS---

Quote Originally Posted by scoutnaround View Post
    also i have a 345 in my 800a with no mods to firewall
    800A had a V8 as a stock option. Totally different engine compartment by then. The early 800s only had the 4 cylinder engine available, just like the 80 models. The 800A wasn't made until 69.

The early 800 and all of the 80 models had the steering column on the inside of the frame rail. It's possible to do a swap of the body. It's even easier to switch tags. It's probably a good idea to check the frame to see if the serial numbers match on a Scout 80 with a 345. Even a small block V8 conversion requires some alterations to the inside of the engine compartment.
    Allan E.

Default Looking for door parts-regulators,lock rods,wing windows

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post

Do you know anyone that has window regulators,lock rods,wing windows near Mountain Home? It's getting chilly and the guy I bought it from did not include them like I was told(handed me a box and was told good luck, its all in there)