Thread: just bought today...

Default just bought today...

1970 IH Scout 4x4
    rough shape
    slant 4
    vin 782807g411443
    so i have read that the G stands for Fort Wayne, Ind.
    so what about the rest?
    it seems that this is more rare than my 76 plymouth volare coupe
    front wheels are toed in like this \-0--/
    \=passenger
    /=driver
    0 = axle
    also the person that i bought it from put a muffler right under the passenger door, right along the edge, where does it need to go?
    the exhaust is not tight around the manifold (manifold) how do i fix and is there a common part from napa that wil fix it?
    as you can see the gas neck is missing from the driver side, i have it...how does it fit in the tank and the body?
    was told the reason for the green was it used as a forest service truck?
    and the shackle on the passnger side rear, a fix form that?
    *see attached pictures*

any help would be great...
    Attached Images Attached Images

First off grats on the cool purchase!
    It defintley has potential, should give us a couple pics of the outside.

Id suggest fabricating yourself up some shackles cause buying is gona be overpriced. Probably want new bushings as well...
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Default shackles...

is there a swap from another truck or car that converts over? the guy i bought it from put on an electric fuel pump and bypassed the pump on the block? how do i fix that, he said there was an issue with a "O" ring...

Default u-joint issue

so napa only carries a u-joint called #659 which is for a 1971 model, mine is a 1970 and its different, $103 for it, why the difference? i was told size and the way it locks in place?
    we put the 659 one in and the caps fall off through the yoke? no place to put the clips in to secure it?
    any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dodge97 View Post
    is there a swap from another truck or car that converts over? the guy i bought it from put on an electric fuel pump and bypassed the pump on the block? how do i fix that, he said there was an issue with a "O" ring...
    The exhaust donut is part number 60203... or 60302. It's monday, sorry.
    The exhaust goes where it's not in the way when you want to work on something.
    The shackles aren't that expensive. Several light line dealers and other IH vendors have them, along with the other suspension parts.

The camber problem might be related to a bent axle or broken king pin-bearings. I forget what they're called on a closed knuckle front, but they are the equivalent of ball joints and king pins. You'll simply have to trace it down. The axle is a Dana 30, and if you can't find a replacement housing, you'll have to come up with a different solution. I would absolutely figure out why the camber is off before I replaced any parts. Pretty silly to replace the shackles, then have to move them for an upgraded axle.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php should have your u joint for a lot less. Can not make the one you bought fit, take it back.

The doughnut Allen came up with off the top of his head. Not bad by the way there buddy.
    http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?PN...universal:0%29

The fuel pump will most likely be bad. The O ring I assume means it was leaking at the bowl, where the bottom bolts to the top. If you run them long without gas going through it tends to tear the diaphragm. So most likely not any good. Nothing wrong with an electric unless an eyesore to you.
    http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?PN...universal:0%29

The vin number starts with g, the 400,000 after that is the number of scouts made previous to yours + the one you have. The number in front of that may be a federal number designating the govt vehicle number. I am just guessing maybe someone will know. My Army scout has a number similar but starts GIxxxxxx.
    Good luck getting it going and having fun in it.

Default interchangable?

can the parts from a 1968 or 69 or later or earlier fit a 1970 as in body parts, like the end caps where the tail lights go? or from another make and model?
    kinda like mopar parts...