Thread: Axle Width Difference

Default Axle Width Difference

Whats the width difference (if any) on my closed knuckle Dana30 and Dana44 on my 1970 800A versus a set of D44's from a 76 ScoutII?

I had previously purchased, rebuilt, and set up with 4wheel disc brakes a set of Scout axles for my CJ7 only to decide to go bigger... So I've got a perfectly good set of Dana 44's laying around.

Just wondering if I can use these without messing with the perch mounts, etc. I'm back in Houston without my scout until I can trailer it down here to work on.

Also, I know the scout axles have 0 Caster and the set I had planned for the CJ7 have had the inner knuckles rotated to 6 caster. Will this pose any problems on the scout? Steering Geometries are definitely NOT my strong suit.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to have a good plan of attack ready to go for this rig once I get it to Houston to start working on.
    1970 Scout 800A (just purchased)

1985 CJ7 5.3/4L60E/D300TS

Default Axle Width Difference

Thanks.

Ive had a rethink and am going to leave the axle width fixed.
    After mocking up the suspension units with wheels / tyres on the chassis today I find I have 44 width so can work with that.

Paul H

Quote Originally Posted by hakcrame73 View Post
    Thanks.

Ive had a rethink and am going to leave the axle width fixed.
    After mocking up the suspension units with wheels / tyres on the chassis today I find I have 44 width so can work with that.

Paul H
    Not to be rude, but HUH?
    1970 Scout 800A (just purchased)

1985 CJ7 5.3/4L60E/D300TS

Fixed as in.. hes not gonna modify them..? I was a bit confused as well :P
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
    Whats the width difference (if any) on my closed knuckle Dana30 and Dana44 on my 1970 800A versus a set of D44's from a 76 ScoutII?

I had previously purchased, rebuilt, and set up with 4wheel disc brakes a set of Scout axles for my CJ7 only to decide to go bigger... So I've got a perfectly good set of Dana 44's laying around.

Just wondering if I can use these without messing with the perch mounts, etc. I'm back in Houston without my scout until I can trailer it down here to work on.

Also, I know the scout axles have 0 Caster and the set I had planned for the CJ7 have had the inner knuckles rotated to 6 caster. Will this pose any problems on the scout? Steering Geometries are definitely NOT my strong suit.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to have a good plan of attack ready to go for this rig once I get it to Houston to start working on.
    I believe (don't fully quote me on this) that the Scout II axles will fit as long as you modify the perches a little, since the 800 frame is slightly smaller than the Scout II. As far as the extra caster, 1980 axles were designed to allow up to 3 degrees, and are the most sought-after axles because of their adjustability. Don't know off hand if the extra 3 degrees will be bad for a Scout though.